Doreen Newman vs. Sears Home Warranty

3333 Beverly Rd - B6-258B, Hoffman Estates, Illinois, 60179-0002, United States
    • Filed On: Feb 27, 2016
    • Posted On: Mar 09, 2016
      • Problem with a product
"I have purchased a home warranty so that all my washers, dryers and so on would be taken care of. On January 18th a repair man was due to come to my home and look at my washer that was making a noise and not draining correctly. Three hours into my 4 hour window Sears cancelled my appointment. They came back out on February 8th and told me they could fix the machine but made me wait another week to come back. On February 16th the repair men came out and spent 3 hours working on the washer and didn't even run a full test cycle to see if they corrected all the problems. That night I tried to use the machine and it wouldn't spin right and now drained worse than before they came out. I called Sears again and was told I had to wait another week befor4e someone could come out. On February 23rd they came out again and was told by the technician that the bolts weren't tightened down right. He thought he fixed the machine. The next day I ran a load and the machine made a new high pitch squealing noise and the machine flooded my floor. Now the machine cannot be used at all. Again I called Sears on Thursday the 25th but scheduling was closed. I called Sears on Friday the 26th and was told they would try to get someone out on Saturday the following day if someone cancelled. I was told it would be put in as an emergency. I called today the 27th of February to see if someone was coming and was told no one was available and my appointment would be on March 1st. I said this was not acceptable. I cannot take another day off of work. I was told to call the district manager, that he would be in. Of course his office is closed on weekends. I called Sears home warranty again and asked to speak to a manager. I got a woman named Alison. She said she couldn't get anyone out today unless someone else canceled. I said that she needed to sub the job out if she couldn't get one of her people out. I have already lost 4 days of work and now she wanted me to take a 5th day off of work or wait another week for a weekend repair. I said if someone couldn't come out this weekend just give me a voucher for a new machine. She said she couldn't do that. She said the repair man had to say whether the machine could be fixed or not. I have no confidence that Sears can fix my machine. If I cancel the home warranty they can charge me for all the repairs they have done. Had I know they were this incompetent and that I would lose so many days of work I would not have purchased this warranty. I would have just purchased a new washer."
Additional Communication Between Claimant and Sears Home Warranty Hide
  • Mar 23, 2016, () added:
  • People Claim
    Online Dispute Resolution

RE: Investigation of Complaint with Sears Holdings Corporation
    Doreen Newman – File #7815913-130738

To Whom It May Concern:

This letter serves to confirm that the complaint submitted to your company by the above-named consumer regarding their service experience.

We apologize for the delay in responding to Ms. Newman’s complaint, our research show that after repeat repairs for her washer we had determined that the washer would need to be replaced. Unfortunately Ms. Newman purchased a new washer before the replacement process could be implemented. On contact with Ms. Newman we offered to refund her the purchase price of the new Kenmore washer purchased on March 2, 2016 in the amount of $585.00. In our conversation Ms. Newman requested to be cancelled from the Sears Appliance Warranty she had recently signed up for and that the washer repairs had been performed under. At that time we offered Ms. Newman a choice, we would either refund her the purchase of the Kenmore washer under the replacement clause of the first 30 days of coverage of the Sears Appliance warranty or we would cancel the one year warranty plan without penalty and wave the charges for the repairs. Ms. Newman has not made a choice as of yet to which action she would prefer. Ms. Newman has been informed that this offer is good until June 25, 2016 and need only contact me directly with her choice for it to be implemented. In the interim pending Ms. Newman’s decision we have closed this file.

We apologize for any issues or frustrations that Ms. Newman may have experienced with Sears Holdings Corporation. We do value our customers and strive for their complete satisfaction including a reasonable resolution of any complaints whenever possible. If you have any further questions or concerns, you are welcome to contact me at (512) 248-7793 or via email at Vanessa.l.Steele@searshc.com.

Sincerely,

3. Refund: sears home warranty Mar 18, 2016 $60.00
4. Pay me for my time: 35 hours Mar 18, 2016 $560.00
5. Other – Pay for claim posting cost Mar 18, 2016 $7.99
6. Other – Physical delivery charges Mar 18, 2016 $8.99

There has been no response to this claim from Sears Home Warranty. This claim will remain posted until resolved
  • Comment: by Kenneth Mitchell — Online mediator
  • On: 03-12-2016
  • This may not help. but we need to run a campaign against this company. I purchased warranty over phone.
    Did not know, nor was told, it was a $39.00 monthly cost for the rest of my life. I thought it was a one time cost. They failed to mention that. Plus, when I noticed charges to my card, I called to cancel. That will be an additional $74.00 charge. I am disputing it now. Sears are ripoffs. And what service you do get it is marginal at best. And they know it. That is why they are going down the toilet.