C.A.R.S Conroe Complete Auto Repair Services/612 W. Phillips Conroe, Tx Dispute

E. D. vs. C.A.R.S Conroe Complete Auto Repair Services
612 W. Phillips St, Conroe, Texas, 77301, United States
Amount Involved: Other terms
"C.A.R.S. installed a new radiator in my 2009 Lexus on 2/9/19. The lower radiator hose blew off after driving 301 miles and the engine which only had 53,593 miles on it had to be replaced. The clamp had worked lose and the hose subsequently came off. All coolant gushed out of the radiator and was quickly behind us as we were traveling on I-35 heading home to Edmond, Ok. The temperature gauge never registered hot because there was no coolant to read and there were no other signs of overheating or other problems until the check engine light came on. I immediately began changing lanes to reach the shoulder and my wife turned on the hazard lights. While changing lanes, the engine began losing power so I promptly put the car in neutral and turned the engine off so we could coast. We had the car towed to AAA approved Kwik Kar Auto Repair Service in Edmond who informed us that the lower radiator hose clamp worked itself loose and the hose came off which allowed all coolant to leak out. The engine overheated, resulting in damage to cylinder heads. Kwik Kar ruled out other causes such as water pump failure, fan motor, thermostat, et al. They located a used engine with 29,000 miles on it and installed it for $4,084.63.

I called C.A.R.S on 2/26/19 before the new engine installation was completed to inform them of the damage caused by the tech for not properly seating the clamp and to seek reimbursement for the consequential damages. I spoke with LJ who promptly put me on hold to speak with the manager. He informed me that C.A.R.S. was not responsible and that my only recourse was to file a claim with Tech Net Nationwide Warranty and be certain to include invoices from both C.A.R.S. and Kwik Kar. They did not ask for pictures of the clamp/hose or engine, to have the car towed to Conroe so they could inspect it, or request any other information for their consideration. The call lasted eight minutes and I was given less than one minute to provide details.

I immediately called the Tech Net Nationwide Warranty administrator rep who said the warranty "does not in any way include incidental or consequential damages" and that "warranty repair work shall in no case exceed the cost of the original repair or service." He also informed me that the repair shop is responsible for the expenses. I was totally shocked that C.A.R.S directed me to file a claim with Tech Net Nationwide Warranty, surely knowing it would be a futile effort. Moreover, they didn't request any investigative information for their consideration.

I have downloaded a picture taken on 5/2/19 of the properly seated clamp and hose Kwik Kar installed that has lasted 2,372 miles ... the exact same clamp/hose that C.A.R.S installed that only lasted 301 miles.

I asked Tyler Henry, a reputable Lexus mechanic expert on Just Answer.com the following question: After a new radiator is installed, what would cause the lower radiator hose to blow off after driving 300 miles? His answer was: "increased pressure due to overheating can cause the hose to come off but if the hose was properly clamped on it wouldn't with increased pressure. 'The most likely cause is the clamp holding the hose on wasn't seated properly and the hose worked it's way off."

My follow up questions were: "Would it for sure last for 300 miles before blowing off?" "Could air bubbles do it?" He answered: "No air bubbles wouldn't do that and yea I've seen it last longer than 300 miles with the hose not being tightened correctly. I'm sure that's the issue."

So ... YOU'VE BEEN WARNED! I believe their stunt to have me file a claim with Tech Net Nationwide Warranty was as unprofessional and unethical as it gets. Please refer to my BBB complaint for more details. I would be grateful for any feedback from any of you. I am retired and have made this issue a major priority. Look for numerous reviews!"
Exhibits View
Additional Communication Between Claimant and C.A.R.S Conroe Complete Auto Repair Services Hide
  • May 29, 2019, Claiming party added:
  • This picture, taken on 5/2/19, is of the original lower clamp/hose that came with the Lexus. It lasted 301 miles after C.A .R.S. installed the new radiator before it blew off because it was poorly seated. It has lasted 2,372 miles+ after Kwik Kar properly installed it.

• May 30, 2019, Claiming party added:
  • Yes, we went around and around with the BBB. That is why I am filing with PeopleClaim! I can assure you I will not quit until you pay for the "consequential damages" caused by your tech not seating the clamp properly on the lower radiator hose. I have talked to five reputable ASE approved radiator specialists who all say it is quite possible to drive 301+ miles with a clamp that was not seated properly. I have not talked with anyone who agrees with you.

WHY DID C.A.R.S TELL ME TO FILE A CLAIM WITH TECH NET NATIONWIDE WARRANTY ... AND BE SURE TO INCLUDE INVOICES FROM BOTH C.A.R.S. AND KWIK KAR? i am anxious for this answer to go public!

• May 30, 2019, Claiming party added:
  • This is the Tech Net Nationwide Warranty that C.A.R.S. told me to file a claim with!

• May 31, 2019, () added:
  • Once again sir, the Service Advisor was only doing what she had been instructed to do. Yes, she was only on her second week on working full time with us at the time of the incident. Under normal circumstances, this is how warranty claims are filed and handled. When you were advised to call TechNet, did you tell them about your situation and explain what KwikKar was suggesting to repair? We are not responsible and are not going to continue wasting time of the frivolous accusations.

• Jun 02, 2019, Claiming party added:
  • Typical D. Mendoza response! You conveniently forgot to add that the "manager" told LJ to inform me to file a claim with Tech Net Nationwide Warranty! I assume the "manager" was you because I have read some of your responses to reviews where you refer to yourself as "owner/manager." It doesn't matter how long someone has been working when the "manager" tells her what to do!

So, your shop installs a new radiator in my car and reattaches the lower radiator hose that blows off at 301 miles and I have to replace an engine with only 53,593 miles at a cost of $4,084.63 ... and you call it a FRIVOLOUS complaint

When this complaint goes public, I encourage everyone to read the BBB complaint I filed on 3/20/19, paying particular attention to my response to you on 4/22/19 that lists all of your ridiculous efforts to avoid responsibility. I consider them in the category of lies, erroneous statements, dance steps, wild pitches, misleading statements ... let the public decide!

• Jun 03, 2019, () added:
  • .

• Jun 03, 2019, () added:
  • .

• Jun 05, 2019, Claiming party added:
  • Another D. Mendoza tactic ... from wild pitches to intentional walks!

Claimant invites C.A.R.S Conroe Complete Auto Repair Services to make a fair offer to resolve this complaint.
Respondent's Counteroffer Hide
The claimant's settlement terms were rejected with the following explanation:
  • I disagree with the explanation / grounds provided

"Sir, I have gone around and around with you through the BBB since 2/24/19? We are not responsible for the cause of your engine failure nor are we going to pay for the engine. There is no way a spring hose clamp can stay on for 301 mile if it was not installed properly. You are trying to state the the clamp was installed incorrectly and if came off 301 miles later....NO POSSIBLE! "

This claim will remain posted until resolved.

Do you agree with the respondent’s Response?  (If you are a party to this claim, click here.)
  • Contributed Solution: by Sophie Blythe On 06-10-2019
    Check with Lexus about peculiarities with the radiator and check Tech Net Warranty More...
  • Contributed Solution: by George Maxwell On 06-09-2019
    Claimant should take extensive documentation to small claims court More...