M.B. vs. American Home Shield Corporation

M. B. vs. American Home Shield Corp
P.O. Box 727 Carroll, IA 51401-0727, 889 Ridge Lake Blvd Fl 3, Memphis, 38120-9425, United States
Amount Involved: $150.00
Complaint(s): Bad business practices
    • View response from: American Home Shield Corp
    • Claimant Seeks: 4 non-monetary items.
    • Claim #: 1930067
    • Filed On: Jun 25, 2018
    • Posted On: Jul 13, 2018
"1. I had water damage to my home due to a falulty HVAC (Air Con) unit upstairs on 6/5/18 at acive water leaking.
2. Contacted AHS for service request. Sent A-US Air who would not come for 3 days. So had a Water Mitigation company to dry out home and remove water. Pic taken.
3. AC company does a quick repair on 6/8/18, but 36 hours later water leaking recurs. The AC company also damaged my attic step.
4. I contacted AHS, and requests another AC company, but was told that they had to contact the original company for a "Diagnosis form". Upon receipt they would select a new AC company. That was on 6/10/18. I have not been contacted by AHS notifying me of the vendor for a second opinion AC repair.
5. I have called no less than 5  times and am now told that I owe $75.
6. I go to my online account on THEIR website and note that they have OVERCHARGED me $150. I spoke with a Portia on 6/10/18 who agreed that I had been charged twice for the same service and has overpaid $150. I was told that a  $75 check would be issued to me and my Credit Card Credited for $75 by Portia.
7. I was informed today that they will NOT send another AC company because I owe $75.

I have been without AC for 3 weeks. I have a medical condition for which I should avoid heat as much as possible. I have a small unit upstairs but have to go downstairs for kitchen, master bedroom and bath etc. I live in Dallas, Texas  where temps have been in 100s over the past 5 - 7 days.
I will make this a Legal matter if I do not get results in the next 48 hours.

"
  • 06-05-2018 — Water leak upstairs from Faulty AC unit
  • 06-05-2018 — AHS contacts A - US Air
  • 06-08-2018 — U-US-Air "repairs problem, "blocked line" in 45 min then breaks attic ladder rung
  • 06-10-2018 — Water Leak into ceiling return less than 36 hours
  • 06-10-2018 — AHS contacted and was to have a second AC company contact me
  • 06-14-2018 — AHS "Kaylyn" states they need to recive a "Diagnosis" from A-US Air before sending another AC company
  • 06-21-2018 — AHS is still waiting for AC company to send document
  • 06-25-2018 — AHS states I owe $75 which which when I go onto my account on their site, I am owed $150.
  • 06-10-2018 — AHS Billing, Portia stated I was overcharged for the same service and agreed that I was owed $75
  • 06-25-2018 — AHS will not send a second AC because of my owing $75 which I do not owe.
Exhibits View
Additional Communication Between Claimant and American Home Shield Corp Hide
  • Jul 16, 2018, American Home Shield Corp (responding party) added:
  • Please see the attached correspondence. Thank you.

Non-Cash
1. Repair: AC unit Jun 30, 2018 N/A
2. Replace: AC unit Jun 30, 2018 N/A
3. Apology: I want a written apology for your poor Customer Service and the amount of time I spent on calls. Jun 30, 2018 N/A
4. Repayment for being overcharged. No futher contracts with AHS after the end of this contract period ever. Jul 10, 2018 N/A
Cash
1. Payment due: Contract 214100172 Jun 30, 2018 $150.00
2. Other – Copy claim to regulators Jun 30, 2018 $14.99
3. Other – Physical delivery charges Jun 30, 2018 $4.99
Claimant invites American Home Shield Corp to make a fair offer to resolve this complaint.
Non-cash: 4 items
Respondent's Counteroffer Hide
The claimant's settlement terms were rejected with the following explanation:
  • "
    July 11, 2018

VIA EMAIL: MAIL@PEOPLECLAIM.COM

PeopleClaim
    P.O. Box 2531
    Boone, NC 28607

RE: Madge Barnes; AHS Plan No. 214100172; Your Claim No. 1930067-261697

To Whom It May Concern:

American Home Shield (“AHS”) is in receipt of your letter dated June 25, 2018, advising of the above referenced complaint. Your letter has been forwarded to me for review and response.

I have reviewed AHS’ records with regard to the air conditioning issue. On April 25, 2018, service was requested for the air conditioning system and the request was dispatched to A-US Air Conditioning of Texas to diagnose the issue. A-US Air Conditioning reported to AHS that repairs were completed to the unit that cools the upstairs portion of the home on April 25, 2018.

On May 17, 2018, service was again requested for the air conditioning system and the request was dispatched to A-US Air Conditioning to further diagnose the issue. On May 20, 2018, A-US Air Conditioning reported to AHS that the compressor in the upstairs unit had failed and needed to be replaced. AHS authorized the technician to complete the repair and order the replacement equipment. There were some items necessary for the replacement that are not covered by the warranty plan. Section I.1.g (iv) of the enclosed warranty plan states that the contract does not cover system or appliance upgrades, or repairs or replacements required to comply with any federal, state, or local laws, regulations or ordinances, utility regulations, or building or zoning code requirements. Section E.1 of the warranty plan provides that AHS will pay up to ten dollars ($10) per pound per occurrence for refrigerant. The customer is responsible for payment of any costs in excess of ten dollars per pound. The charge to the customer for items not covered by the warranty plan was $565, payable by Madge Barnes to A-US Air Conditioning.

On June 5, 2018, service was again requested for the air conditioning system and the request was dispatched to A-US Air Conditioning to diagnose the issue. On June 8, 2018, A-US Air Conditioning reported to AHS that the air conditioning system that had failed cooled the downstairs portion of the home and that the company had not previously diagnosed or repaired any issues with this unit. A trade service call fee is rightfully due from customers for every trade service request, in accordance with Section D.1 of the warranty plan. Based on the terms of the warranty plan, a trade service call fee in the amount of $75 is rightfully due from Madge Barnes for the trade service requests on each of the air conditioning systems.

A-US Air Conditioning reported to AHS that the company flushed the drain line from the downstairs air conditioning system to resolve the issue. The company reported to AHS that the ladder to the attic was damaged when the technician arrived at the home to diagnose the issue. Additionally, water damage was present to the drywall and the carpet when the technician arrived. Section I.8 of the warranty plan states that AHS is not responsible for secondary, incidental, and/or consequential loss or damage resulting from the malfunction of any covered item, or a service contractor’s neglect or delay in providing, or failure to provide, repair or replacement of such item, including, but not limited to, food spoilage, loss of income, utility bills, additional living expenses, personal and/or property damage. Therefore, AHS denies liability with respect to damage.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

AMERICAN HOME SHIELD OF TEXAS, INC.

Kimberly Tiffany
    Customer and Regulatory Claim Resolution Specialist
    "

This claim will remain posted until resolved.

Do you agree with the respondent’s Response?  (If you are a party to this claim, click here.)