Spirit Airlines-Dispute-#3258965

Amount Involved: $1,675.97
    • View response from: Spirit Airlines, Inc
    • Filed On: Jul 07, 2013
    • Posted On: Jul 18, 2013
"I planned a trip to Las Vegas, Nevada early June, for my younger sister's wedding. I was her maid of honor and my fiancé was the photographer, so it was very important that the both of us be in attendance. I used spirit airlines service to plan my very important trip. However I was very dissatisfied with the service I received and ultimately, my entire trip was ruined and I incurred unnecessary expenses because of a flight delay.

On June 22,2013 I scheduled to fly to Las Vegas, Nevada from Houston, Texas. I purchased 2 round trip tickets both had 1 connecting flight in Dallas, Texas. On Thursday June 20, 2013 I checked the flight status and learned that flight NK 115 was delayed by 30 minutes. My fiancé and I checked in 24 hours prior to departure. After arriving at the airport, we learned that flight NK 115 was delayed another 2 hours for "mechanical issues". The flight was scheduled to depart Houston, Texas at 9:38a.m. and was set to arrive in Dallas, Texas at 10:36a.m. Flight number NK 469 from Dallas to Las Vegas was scheduled to depart at 10:33am and arrive in Las Vegas at 11:17am. I was told at the airport that my fiancé and I would not get to Las Vegas today. In the agent's words "you ain't going to Las Vegas today!" I reasoned with the agent to give us some other options to get to Las Vegas and make it in time for the wedding. We also asked if the agent could call the airport for the connecting flight and hold it so that we could get on that plane. The agent rudely said no and the only solution she gave me, was a refund of the flight portion of my trip and that I should "check other airlines and see if they have any flights. There's nothing I can do for you." This agent ID: number 29240, was very rude and did not show any sympathy or empathy for this very important life event I was about to miss. She told me that spirit next available flight to Las Vegas was at 11:10pm and was scheduled to arrive in Las Vegas at 1:24a.m. That information was useless since she seen that my returning flight from Las Vegas with a final destination to Houston flight number 214 was scheduled to depart Las Vegas at 12:10am June 23, 2013. We wouldn't have been able to board the return flight. The agent again offered me a refund and suggested that I used those funds to purchase one-way tickets with another airline. I accepted the refund from the agent and began going to each airline searching for flights to Las Vegas that would get my fiancé and I in Las Vegas to attend the wedding. After running around the airport, for nearly an hour, I was able to find a flight that could get me in Las Vegas before 3pm.

This was very upsetting to me and very costly. I was forced to pay $548.40 for 1 one-way ticket to Las Vegas from Houston. Unfortunately my fiancé was unable to get on that flight because of the expensive cost and it was too late to check baggage for that flight. I forced to travel on another airlines alone. Unfortunately my fiancé did not make it to the wedding to film it or take any photos. Therefore he could not be compensated for that job nor could he schedule any other jobs in place of that one because of the short notice.

After arriving Las Vegas, I immediately called the customer service number given to me by the spirt representative in Houston to resolve the problem I had. I was then directed to another number and was told by that agent, that I had no returning flight and I was refunded $436.16 which was the entire flight portion of my trip and did not include the baggage fees I paid weeks in advance and my bags was never handled by spirit airlines. I was told to call spirit vacation packages, which was closed by the time I was able to call. I was not able to get a representative until Sunday at 8am and I spoke with Rosanna. She again was unable to help me, and also informed that my return flight was cancelled and she was unable to get me a return flight to Houston. At this point I was stranded in Las Vegas with very little money to get home. I had to extend my hotel stay and figure out a way to get home. In the end I had to make a 24 hour drive to Houston in a rental car and ended up arriving in Houston, Texas minutes before my scheduled court hearing."
Additional Communication Between Claimant and Spirit Airlines, Inc Hide
  • Jul 08, 2013, () added:
  • Please direct your feedback to the Customer Relations department. You may submit your request through our website, Spirit.com. Click on the Help link that is at the top right of the page. We look forward to assisting you there.

• Jul 08, 2013, Claiming party added:
  • After speaking to someone in customer relations, this was the response I received:

Spirit Airlines Customer Relations Agent Soraya, Jul 05 02:56 pm (EDT):
    Dear Ms Gipson,

Thank you for your correspondence with Spirit Airlines regarding your recent reservation, LDBB5H.

We're sincerely sorry for the inconveniences you and Mr Banks encountered recently. Our records indicate your first flight NK, 115, with service from Houston to Dallas, on June 22nd, was delayed due to up-line issues that affected our crews' movements from flight to flight. We understand your frustration and recognize the inconvenience this can cause to travel plans. At times, airlines need to make changes in their schedule because of weather patterns, maintenance issues, and overall safety. Please understand the safety of our customers and crew is our first priority.

We apologize for any inappropriate behavior displayed by airport agents. They are expected to assist our customers secure and manage their travel plans and should be providing excellent service to our valued customers; we sincerely regret any unpleasant or frustrating interactions. The incident you described is not indicative of our expectation and we appreciate you bringing your concerns to our attention. The level of service you state you received is not what we strive to provide our customers. Your complaint was forwarded to our Corporate Customer Relations Management, Dallas Airport General Manager and our Director of Airport Services for review, and appropriate action. Please rest assured your complaint has been taken seriously and will be addressed with the seriousness it deserves.

We apologize for the possible miscommunication which led to the cancellation of your return travel. Regretfully, we are unable to honor your request for reimbursement of the expenses you incurred. Please understand our decisions are based on a desire to provide consistency in the enforcement of our policies, as it is the only way to be fair to all of our valued customers. As a token of sincere apology for your experience, each of you has been issued a $100.00 Future Travel Voucher (FTV). We understand it will not change your recent experience, but we're hoping it’ll encourage you to give us an opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Nitra Gipson: 18162736641300001
    Capri Banks: 18162745576100001

Expiration date: September 03, 2013 (Travel does not have to be completed by this date; however a new reservation must be secured.)

Your FTVs are active and can be redeemed online or by calling our Reservations Center at 801.401.2200. The policies surrounding Vouchers can be found at our web site, www.spirit.com. Below is the direct link for your convenience:

Ms. Gipson, we’d love you and Mr. Banks to consider using your Future Travel Voucher and flying with Spirit once again. Everyone at Spirit Airlines is working hard to make sure your next flight experience with us is positive from beginning to end. We strive to provide safe, reliable and economical air travel options to the flying public and are committed to offering quality customer service and ensuring experiences are positive. Again, we are truly sorry your experience with us did not measure up to the standards we strive to achieve.

Sincerely,

Soraya Brice
    Corporate Escalation Officer
    Spirit Airlines

• Jul 08, 2013, Claiming party added:
  • I responded to their offer for a future travel voucher on July 7, 2013. The letter read:

To whom it may concern:

This is in response to my complaint filed on June 29, 2013. The offer made to give my fiancé and I a future travel voucher credit for $100.00 each is not sufficient to cover my extra cost due to your flight delay. Not only is this insufficient, but it is also unsatisfactory and unacceptable behavior of an airline company. I suffered a lost in over $900.00 at no fault of my own. No customer of yours should suffer any loss because of flight delays. Spirit Airlines should take full responsibly of this incident and resolve it to my satisfaction. A $100.00 future travel voucher credit does not compensate me for my loss, it will only cost me more money. I was forced to spend more money because your flight was delayed and now you are trying to force me to spend more money on another flight in order to redeem a travel voucher. This issue can only be resolved with me being reimbursed the money I loss. Since you choose not to do so, I am forced to take further action. This issue is not resolved.

Regards,

4. Public posting fee Jul 23, 2013 $7.99
5. Postage fee Jul 23, 2013 $2.99
6. Essential items purchased due to extended travel Jul 23, 2013 $250.00
Respondent's Counteroffer Hide
The claimant's settlement terms were rejected with the following explanation:
  • "Thank you for bringing Ms. Gipson's claim to our attention. We've already contacted the customer directly.

Kindest regards,

Michelle M.
    Spirit Airlines

"

This claim will remain posted until resolved.

Do you agree with the respondent’s Response?  (If you are a party to this claim, click here.)
Offer History
Jul 08, 2013
Claimant's Terms of Settlement to Spirit Airlines, Inc
Jul 07, 2013
Claimant's Terms of Settlement to Spirit Airlines, Inc
  • Comment: by Maria — Online mediator
  • On: 08-05-2013
  • My sister in law uses Spirit Airlines often and sadly to say , the flights are never on time also regretfully some of the customer service reps are not to polite.
  • Comment: by Maverick — Online mediator
  • On: 08-01-2013
  • Spirit Airline Agents need improved customer service skills with their customers. Agents are not helpful in accommodating with baggage issues or try to help resolve them by working with their customers. Spirit Airlines charge for everything, and nothing on their airline is complimentary. Will never use their airline again now or in the future.