F.M. vs. Select Home Warranty

Bad Practices & Service = SELECT HOME WARRANTY

F. M. vs. Select Home Warranty
1 International Blvd Ste 400, Mahwah, New Jersey, 07495-0, United States
"It started with my water heater. It broke due to wear and tear and they wouldn’t cover it so I had to pay. So I paid almost $2,000 for a water heater that other companies would have covered. Called for my washing machine provided a contractor, I never got a call from the contractor so I called the contractor he stated that he never got the work order and he was going to call Select Home Warranty and call me back, which he never did. So I called Select Home Warranty and they informed me that the contractor cant do the job. So for days I was waiting and Select Home Warranty didn’t have the business sense to share that knowledge with me and told me that they will get a new contractor out and waive the fee and would also waive the fee on my plumbing request that I scheduled with them. The contractor showed up to fix my washing machine and I asked if they told him that they were going to take care of the service fee, he said no. I called Select Warranty and they kept mentioning the waived fee for the plumbing service but I explained that three people told me that the washing machine service fee would be waived. No one knew what I was talking about talked to a manager he said he see it on the notes and transfer me to the authorization department, she said that is not the case that they would waive the fees and I had to pay the contractor because he heard the entire conversation and was going to remove the parts from my washing machine if he didn’t get paid, because he has been burnt by Select Home Warranty before. Needless to say, I had to pay the fee or else I would have a non-working machine. I called back to cancel and they told me that I was offered $250 for an over $1100 water heater I had to pay for instead of covering it and that would be deducted from my pro-rated amount of the contract. On top of that they were going to charge me an early termination fee. I couldn’t believe it. One has nothing to do with the other. They didn’t care about all the work and money I paid. Who wouldn’t want to cancel after such HORRIBLE service. Isn’t the purpose of a home warranty is to cover if something is broken? A water heater leaks if it broken. Years ago I had a different warranty company nd my water heater did the same thing. They covered the entire thing minus my co-pay. They still do. I don’t think they should be in business taking money from consumers and not fulfilling what a warranty company is supposed to do, which is cover items that are broken in your home. The interesting part is, if a sink leaks, they may not cover that either. Hence I den use not to bother with them to do anything else for me."
1. Compensation: Water heater installation, parts, labor, and taxes Mar 01, 2018 $2,300.00
2. Refund: Service contract payment and service fee Mar 01, 2018 $350.00
3. Pay me for my time: All of the countless calls I had to make Mar 01, 2018 $50.00
Claimant invites Select Home Warranty to make a fair offer to resolve this complaint.

There has been no response to this claim from Select Home Warranty. This claim will remain posted until resolved
  • Contributed Solution: by Alan Trachtman On 03-16-2018
    You’re obviously dealing with a bunch of sleaze-balls here. Personally, I think all of the companies in this business are highly suspect. Frankly I think the previous suggestion offered by Brian Edderly makes good sense, however, I’d make the following addition to what he says in this case, because the amount of money involved is not frivolous, however in your case, it’s not that easy to find an attorney who will take your case, and when it’s not economically practical to hire an attorney for such a case, you should think seriously about suing them on your own. This type of lawsuit is frequently referred to as "pro-se" (pronounced "pro say") In most courthouses, in the clerks office where suits are filed, there's a "pro-se desk" with a clerk capable of giving you the necessary forms to fill out and advise you on procedures. Do not bother asking them for legal advice, i.e. what your chances are of prevailing in your suit, as they all studiously avoid answering such questions. Just get them to instruct you on how to fill out and file the forms, do so, pay the filing fee, and then get your complaint served on the defendant. In most jurisdictions, claims under a certain dollar amount can usually be served by registered mail, if so, make sure your save the card that you get back from the post office with the recipient's signature on it as proof of service. If that’s not true here, you cannot serve the suit yourself, so you may need to employ a process server, however you can usually avoid that expense by having a friend serve the defendant with your papers. Your friend would then have to sign an "Affidavit of Service" which you would then have to deliver to the court clerk where you filed the action to be added to your file. The clock starts ticking on the defendant's allotted time to file a legal reply to your suit, once the service of your suit is made. It may taker many months for the case to get to court, but in a very real sense you have the advantage at this point, because in most cases, a business owner will have to use an attorney. These type of businesses always have some cheap local shyster on retainer, but that still costs the business owner some money, and he may decide to settle with you at that point. If not, wait it out and go to court when the time comes. Do a little research online in the local public records about previous lawsuits filed against the company. If there are many of them, print them out and bring them with you to the trial to use as evidence. If you conduct yourself in a calm and respectful manner towards the judge, and get a fair minded one, you just may prevail. What have you got to lose at this point? Good luck
  • Contributed Solution: by Brian Edderly On 03-03-2018
    It is a mystery to me that Select Home Warranty is still in business More...