My Claim vs. Wanda Coach cannot seem to provide proof of proper licensing including required DOT number

S. T. vs. Wanda Coach - The Express Way To Nyc - 917-717-4666
103 Canal St, New York, New York, 10002-6006, United States
    • Claimant Seeks: 2 non-monetary items.
    • Amount Involved: N/A
    • Filed On: Jan 05, 2018
    • Posted On: Jan 16, 2018
      • Failure to disclose facts
"My daughter booked a bus ticket from New York City to Baltimore on Wanderu.com. The ticket turned out to be on Wanda Coach.
There were several problems with Wanda Coach, but by far the worst was that a female passenger was apparently assaulted by a fellow passenger and the Wanda Coach driver refused to call the police. When other passengers called the police, he refused to cooperate with the location. My daughter called Wanda Coach and the response was an astonishingly indifferent "What do you want US to do about it?"
The Wanda Coach driver then dropped my daughter off at a totally different location from the one advertised - about a mile away in fact, in the dark, in Baltimore, on one of the coldest nights of the year. She will be filing her own complaints about all these issues.
However, when I tried to find the DOT number and CEO name for Wanda Coach, the only thing that came up on Google was a 9/2017 senate report on bus safety - or lack thereof - that noted:

"One example is Wanda Coach. The company advertises bus service between New York City and several other cities including Atlanta, Georgia, or Raleigh, North Carolina. In order to legally provide such service, it would need authority from FMCSA, and yet nothing comes up for Wanda Coach, even as a name another company might be doing business as. The closest match is Wanda Tours, a small company in California that is clearly not the same company. Wanda Coach advertises a number of street stops in New York City, yet does not appear on the list of companies with intercity bus permit authority from New York City."

I called FMCSA and they confirmed that they have no DOT number for Wanda Coach or any DBA. I then called Wanda Coach at 646-630-7186, the number listed on their site, WandaCoach.com. The woman who answered said she just did customer service and I should call the company itself at 917-717-4666. Here's where things got truly bizarre.
The man who answered demanded that I give him my social security number if he was to provide the company's "private" DOT number. I responded that the Wanda Coach DOT number should be freely available in the public DOT database, but I could have the NY Attorney General's office ask for it if he preferred. After conferring with "the office" further he said that the number was different for each state, so which one did I want? After I'd stopped laughing I told him to go with New York. He put me on hold for a long time and then hung up on me.
I called back and the next person stated that he didn't know, all he did was customer service, and there wasn't anyone in charge he could ask.
It appears to me that Wanda Coach may be operating illegally and without required safety precautions and inspections. If I am wrong, I would like Wanda Coach to provide me (and its passengers) with its correct DOT number and DBA, evidence of proper intercity bus permits granted by NYDOT, etc."
Additional Communication Between Claimant and Wanda Coach - The Express Way To Nyc - 917-717-4666 Hide
  • Jan 17, 2018, Claiming party added:
  • Wanda Coach has still not provided me with its DOT number. Wanderu says it has Wanda Coach's DOT and licensing information but hasn't given it to me. This is extremely frustrating. I understand that Wanda Coach may be legally operating as a DBA, but if so, why don't they say so?

1. Information: Information about all appropriate licensing and safety inspections Jan 20, 2018 N/A
2. If Wanda Coach is not properly licensed, I would like it to close down until it IS properly licensed, Jan 20, 2018 N/A
Non-cash: 2 items

There has been no response to this claim from Wanda Coach - The Express Way To Nyc - 917-717-4666. This claim will remain posted until resolved
  • Contributed Solution: by Sophie Blythe On 01-17-2018
    File a formal complaint with FMCSA, Senator Jeffrey Klein, and the NYDOT More...