Princess Cruises, An Irresponsible Cruise Line

T. P. vs. Princess Cruises
24305 Town Center Dr Ste 200, Santa Clarita, California, 91355-1359, United States
Amount Involved: $6,055.60
Complaint(s): Bad business practices
    • Filed On: Dec 18, 2011
    • Posted On: Dec 29, 2011
"On February 9, 2010, my wife and I boarded the Diamond Princess in Auckland, New Zealand, bound for Melbourne and Sydney, Australia. Booking No. XT9Q3D

On the morning of February 18, 2010, while still at sea and on the Diamond Princess, I ate breakfast at the Horizon Court buffet, and I subsequently became ill, with a stomachache and diarrhea. I had eaten only food prepared and served on the Diamond Princess. Before eating breakfast I felt fine and I was in good health.

After I became ill my wife and I stayed in our state room, while I tried to recover, but I did not improve. Later on February 18th I reported my medical condition to the ship’s Medical Center. The ship’s nurse took down my information and treated me for Acute Gastroenteritis.

The ship’s nurse also instructed me to return to my state room, and to not disembark the ship even though the ship was to dock at Melbourne. She said I was strictly prohibited from stepping outside of my state room, and she said that if I did so I would be expelled from the ship at my own expense. I was confined by the ship’s nurse to my room for 24 hours until the evening next day, February 19th, after the ship left Melbourne.

The nurse did not make it clear to me why I was not permitted to go ashore in Melbourne, or why I was confined to my room for so long. As a result, the confinement felt like a kind of involuntary detention.

While I recovered, on February 18 and 19, my wife had to tend to me. She could not, moreover, go on shore alone while the Diamond Princess was in Melbourne. As a result, my wife and I both missed our only chance to visit Melbourne.

Melbourne was, for us, a dream destination and a key reason we paid for the Diamond Princess cruise. We spent thousands of dollars in air fare from the U.S., in addition to the cruise fees, to see Melbourne. Because of the food poisoning I contracted on the Diamond Princess, however, my wife and I were denied the opportunity to disembark and visit the city. Due to the cost and distances involved, we will not have another chance to visit Melbourne.

I have requested Princess either to give me a refund, or grant me the equivalent in credit toward a future cruise, as compensation for the loss that my wife and I incurred due to food poisoning directly caused by the Princess Cruises. However, Princess denied its responsibility and refused to compensate us anything. I and my wife will never take a cruise with Princess again in the future. There are a lot of cruise lines providing much better service and are more responsible than Princess. Why do we bother to travel with an irresponsible cruise line like Princess."
1. Compensation: Airfare Jan 02, 2012 $3,735.00
2. Refund: Total criuse fare plus fees Jan 02, 2012 $2,320.60
3. Other – Physical delivery charges Jan 02, 2012 $2.99

There has been no response to this claim from Princess Cruises. This claim will remain posted until resolved