My Claim vs. Great Salt Plains Health Center

• Posted On: Aug 28, 2016
      • Rude or Unprofessional Behavior
      • Damage to reputation
      • Income loss
"I was hired as an RN for this company in July 2015. I worked many months alone and without another nurse to help. There were two providers and I was able to keep up with the work. Due to a situation with another employer, my RN lic was placed on probation. I was then demoted to a medical assistant position at 7 $ and hr less than the RN beg salary. Because I worked alone and we were short of nurses I was not able to take any time off until another nurse was hired. Because I took a lesser position, I was told that the accumulated PTO would not be paid at the 21$ hr rate but at the 14$ an hour rate. I agreed to this. I started supervised practice with the RN in charge in my clinic in Enid. In July, I was 2 days late turning in a paper to the Oklahoma Board of Nursing and my license was suspended. I quickly notified the supervisor of my clinic and the supervisor of all the nurses (D. Gibson). D. Gibson was in Alaska and she postponed my yearly evaluation until she returned. I agreed to this. I was already approved vacation time for the 29 July until 7 august. I was also approved to various weekends for the rest of the year. My license was suspended on the 23 of July. After working the whole week in the clinic and at 5 pm, I was told that I was being let go "because of my license situation". D. Gibson also stated that "we stuck our neck out for you and you did not do what you were supposed to do". My license had nothing to do with the job that I had, which was to room in the patients. If there was a concern I find it strange that I was allowed to work until the Friday at 5 pm. D. Gibson was in the clinic twice that week. I also did what my supervisor C. Bynum was telling me to do in regards to rooming in the patient's and waiting to room them. The review that Nurse C. Bynum was going to give me what exemplary, as a matter of fact, she turned in a report to the Board of nursing that was Excellent! I would like the vacation time that I accumulated. It is 89.32 hrs, at 14$ an hour. I earned those hours, and I was strung along until they found someone else to do my job at a lesser rate of 9$ an hour."
  • 07-19-2016 — Nursing lic suspended for 3 months.
  • 07-19-2016 — Supervisors notified via e-mail
  • 07-08-2016 — yearly evaluation due
  • 07-15-2016 — No yearly evaluation yet. I was told it would be on this date.
  • 07-20-2016 — D. Gibson in office (this date might be the 21st - not quite sure)
  • 07-22-2016 — Fired from job (informed me that it was due to my lic being suspended - It was suspended on the 19th, but they let me work the whole week rather than let me go that same day that it was suspended)
  • 07-29-2016 — I was approved vacation the week after I was fired. Now they say they don't have to pay me at all. They could have given me a chance to resign since there were no complains about my work.
Additional Communication Between Claimant and Great Salt Plains Health Center Hide
  • Aug 27, 2016, Great Salt Plains Health Center (responding party) added:
  • Great Salt Plains Health Center followed all company policies. This nurse failed to comply with the Nurse Practice Act so her license was restricted. After the restriction, GSPHC worked with her to provide supervision which would have enabled her to get her full license back. During the restriction she failed to follow the requirements of the Board of Nursing so her license was suspended. Nurses are not allowed to work as a nurse in Oklahoma with a suspended license.

1. Pay me my accumulated PTO. Sep 01, 2016 $1,250.00
2. Other – Pay for claim posting cost Sep 01, 2016 $7.99
Respondent's Counteroffer Hide
The claimant's settlement terms were rejected with the following explanation:
  • I disagree with the explanation / grounds provided

"Great Salt Plains Health Center followed all company policies. This nurse failed to comply with the Nurse Practice Act so her license was restricted. After the restriction, GSPHC worked with her to provide supervision which would have enabled her to get her full license back. During the restriction she failed to follow the requirements of the Board of Nursing so her license was suspended. Nurses are not allowed to work as a nurse in Oklahoma with a suspended license."

This claim will remain posted until resolved.

Do you agree with the respondent’s Response?  (If you are a party to this claim, click here.)
  • Contributed Solution: by J Petaluma On 08-29-2016
    Vacation is part of a compensation package and should be paid. More...
  • Contributed Solution: by Steve McAllister On 08-29-2016
    Great Salt Plains Health Center should address the question More...