Rountree Ford-Dispute-#3216398

J. G. vs. Rountree Ford
119 Monadnock Highway, Swanzey, New Hampshire, 03446, United States
"I went to Rountree Ford for a state inspection sticker after seeing an unusually low price for it, $8.66 . I should have known better. After an hour and a half the service advisor comes to me and says I have a problem with my brakes, he then takes me out to my truck and shows me my brake pads, He must have thought I had no concept of measurements, he then states that they dont meet min thickness . I told him that there over a 1/8 inch thick, they were not evan half way worn. Then he says, It's the part you can't see on the bottom.Then and there I knew I was being scammed. The $8.66 is to get people in there so they can convince people to get repairs they don't need. I have worked as a mechanic, steel worker, welder and machinist. I'm also a disabled veteran. I know what I was looking at and they thought they could take advatage of me. SHAME ON THEM. I will do my best to make sure the public is aware of Rountree Fords practices.I also called back to talk to the manager and your receptionist started laughing at me when I explained what happened. I guess everyone who works there is unprofessional."
Exhibits View
Additional Communication Between Claimant and Rountree Ford Hide
  • Aug 21, 2012, Rountree Ford (responding party) added:
  • Mr. Gouveia,

Our low cost New Hampshire state inspection is designed to build our customer base, not to irritate customers or make them feel taken advantage of. I have spoken with Matt Gaffney, our Parts and Service Director, about your recent service visit. Matt informed me that Ray Forbes, one of our Senior Master Technicians, was assigned to complete the inspection on your vehicle. Following the New Hampshire State inspection guidelines, Ray removed a front and rear wheel on opposite sides of the vehicle to check for the current status of the brake pad linings. When inspecting the brake pad linings Ray found that both the front and rear brake linings did not meet the minimum required thickness that the State of New Hampshire requires to pass state inspection. In addition, as noted on your repair order, the parking brake did not operate effectively, which also failed the vehicle for state inspection. I will privately attach a copy of your repair order, due to customer privacy laws, which will clearly show what the vehicle failed inspection for. We would invite you to return to the dealership at a time when we can arrange for a New Hampshire State Trooper to inspect your vehicle at the same time. If at the time of inspection with the New Hampshire State trooper, if he or she indicates that we should have passed your vehicle for state inspection, then we will install new front and rear brakes at no charge to you. We will not ever take advantage of a customer and we go to great lengths to make sure that every customer is satisfied with their experience when doing business with us. If you would like to reach me directly, please feel free to call me at 603-233-7889. That is my cell phone number that I invite customers to contact me at if they have an issue with the dealership. I look forward to speaking with you on this matter. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Mark Rountree
    General Manager
    Rountree Ford Lincoln

• Aug 21, 2012, Claiming party added:
  • Your senior master technician took off all four tires, not two. I asked why they were taking all my tires off ,your advisor told me its a state requirement, I told him thats the first time its ever been done to my truck. seemed to me he couldn't find anything wrong with two so he checked all four. This inspection took over an hour and a half, seems to me your master techs are trained to find things to repair that dont need to be. Also how do you explain the behavior of your receptionist when I reurned your managers call, totally unprofessional and insulting a real classy girl. The next day I took my truck up the street were I buy my tires and got an inspection sticker ,PASSED no issues. I guess your master techs opinion is not the same as some one who doesnt try to take advatage of people

• Aug 21, 2012, Rountree Ford (responding party) added:
  • Mr. Gouveia,

I will respond to your additional comments in order that you responded. First, our technician removed all four wheels because we also performed a vehicle health report on your vehicle. This is part of the service that we provide all of our customers every time they bring in thir vehicle to our facility. We feel that preventative maintenance on vehicles will help our customers with their long term satisfaction with their vehicle and our service department. The vehicle health report calls for removing all four wheels of a customer's vehicle. In addition, we do this to avoid any misunderstandings when it comes to the customer's braking system. In the past we have completed only what the state required, which is two wheels, and then a short time later the customer discovered that their vehicle's braking system was not performing properly on one of the wheels that was not inspected. In this type of case, the customer would have the right to believe that the dealership missed a state inspection item and therefore put them and their family in an unsafe vehicle. To prevent this type of occurance, we have chosen to remove all four wheels in most state inspections. As for my receptionist, I can't speak to that situation. She does not have any recollection of laughing at you, in fact she was very concerned about your situation and immediately went to speak with Matt Gaffney to aprise him of your call. As for your last complaint regarding another inspection station passing your vehicle through a New Hampshire state inspection, again I would invite you back to the dealership with a New Hampshire State Trooper to verify our opinion of your brakes. If you did not already have your brakes repaired by another facility, I would be very cautious about driving your vehicle. My offer remains that Iwill install new brakes on your vehicle if we were wrong. If you are so confident that we are incorrect in our judgement, then you will be receiving new brakes for free and we will be able to prove to you that we are not out to take advantage of anyone. If all you really desire is a refund of the $8.66, then please just let me know and I will issue you a refund check tomorrow. I will await your response and I hope that you will allow us to reinspect your vehicle.

Claimant invites Rountree Ford to make a fair offer.
1. Other – Pay for claim posting cost Aug 25, 2012 $7.95
Cash total : TBD

There has been no response to this claim from Rountree Ford. This claim will remain posted until resolved
  • Contributed Solution: by Claimant On 07-08-2015