S.T. vs. Instagram By Facebook

Instagram is plundering my contacts despite being denied permission

S. T. vs. Instagram By Facebook
1 Hacker Way, Menlo Park, California, 94025, United States
Amount Involved: $1,000.00
Complaint(s): Bad business practices
    • Claimant Seeks: 3 non-monetary items.
    • Filed On: May 03, 2021
    • Posted On: May 12, 2021
"When I created an Instagram account I was very careful to deny access to my phone contacts etc. I did not want to follow contacts or have them follow me; I just wanted an account so that I could look at places I loved or wanted to visit, follow cooking accounts, etc. End of.
Then I got suggestions to follow various contacts. I assumed these came from my inactive Facebook account, but they nevertheless annoyed me, so I went to check my settings and ensure that everything was turned off--which it already was.
Then, unbelievably, I got this "invitation:"
"Kayla's Mom, one of your contacts, is on Instagram as *****. Would you like to follow them?"
I'm not friends with "Kayla's Mom" either on Facebook or in real life. I just had her number in my phone contacts from when I took her kid on a short trip along with mine. The ONLY way Facebook could possibly have got that info was by leeching my phone contacts.
I immediately checked that my Contacts Syncing was off. It was. Instagram cheerily instructed me to tap Disconnect to delete previously synced contacts; there is no such button--probably because they should never have been synced in the first place.

Facebook is notorious for this kind of behavior. I have no idea what else it's rifling through on my phone. I want an explanation of how and why this happened, what other information Facebook is accessing, and what all this information is being used for."
Exhibits View
Non-Cash
1. Apology: Apology for invasion of privacy May 18, 2021 N/A
2. Change of policy: Stop invading people's privacy and profiting by doing so May 18, 2021 N/A
3. Information: I want to know exactly what private information Facebook has accessed on my phone and what it's done with that info. May 18, 2021 N/A
Cash
1. Compensation: Invasion of privacy and deception May 18, 2021 $1,000.00
Claimant invites Instagram by Facebook to make a fair offer to resolve this complaint.
Non-cash: 3 items

There has been no response to this claim from Instagram by Facebook. This claim will remain posted until resolved
  • Contributed Solution: by George Maxwell On 05-18-2021
    Two options: Report to FTC and your congressional rep and/or start a class action suit More...