Sarah Nix vs. Husqvarna/Viking Embroidery Machine

S. N. vs. Abbey Sewing Center
6910 S Lindbergh Blvd, Saint Louis, Missouri, 63125-4219, United States
    • Claimant Seeks: 2 non-monetary items.
    • Amount Involved: N/A
    • Filed On: Oct 31, 2018
    • Posted On: Nov 15, 2018
      • Problem with a product
      • Other
"I purchased a Diamond Deluxe Embroidery/Sewing machine approx. 5 years ago. We didn't use the machine for about a year because our business was very busy and we just didn't have time to get involved with the machine. The machine didn't work at all. We took it back to the Dealer and they submitted it for repairs. It took approx. 5-6 weeks to get the machine back and once again, it didn't work. The machine was submitted at lease 6 times for repair, it still doesn't work. The Dealer told us that we were out of luck and had to start paying for any further repairs.
I know it has been a long time to get to this point, buy we were hoping to get this resolved without getting anyone else involved. Apparently that isn't working. I am on full disability and have had major back surgery in the last few months. I cannot afford to have this machine repaired, again, with no guarantee that it will work. I also cannot just eat $5,000, or purchase another machine. I am at my wits end, Please help me. Sarah Nix"
Non-Cash
1. Replace: Embroidery Machine Nov 10, 2018 N/A
2. Apology: Embroidery Machine Nov 10, 2018 N/A
Cash
1. Other – Pay for claim posting cost Nov 10, 2018 $14.99
Claimant invites Abbey Sewing Center to make a fair offer to resolve this complaint.
Non-cash: 2 items

There has been no response to this claim from Abbey Sewing Center. This claim will remain posted until resolved
  • Contributed Solution: by George Maxwell On 11-28-2018
    How much was the machine, and how long is the warranty? Under US law, goods must also be merchantable, conforming to an ordinary person’s expectations. So, for instance, if you buy a $50 coffee maker and it breaks just after a 1 year warranty expires, it may be good business for the maker to repair or replace it, but an ordinary person would also say it wouldn’t be unreasonable to just buy a new one. A $5000 sewing machine (if my inference that you paid $5,000 is correct) is a very different kettle of fish. It should reasonably be expected to last for many years.