United Airlines Dispute

J. S. vs. United Airlines, Inc.
PO Box 06649, Chicago, Illinois, 60606-0649, United States
    • Claimant Seeks: 1 non-monetary items.
    • Filed On: Oct 26, 2014
    • Posted On: Nov 06, 2014
"I am a physician who on October 14, 2014 made the mistake of traveling on United Flight 3358 from Cedar Rapids Iowa to Chicago, with a connection on to Providence, RI.

While trying to board the flight, the attendant told me I could not bring my bag on (a rolling backpack measuring 9x10x17 inches, within United's Personal Carry on Policy https://www.united.com/cms/en-us/travel/Pages/BaggageCarry-On.aspx?Mobile=1) because "it has wheels".

I explained that I had flown on this flight and equipment (Embraer 145) many times and that the bag fit easily in the overhead. In spite of this the attendant refused to allow me to bring the bag on repeating that it had "wheels". I offered to show her that the bag fit in the overhead, but she just repeated over and over that it had "wheels", in a completely insulting and condescending manner.

When I told her I had valuables in the bag, she told me to take them out and gate check it. I told her that if anything was missing from my bag I would hold her personally responsible. She replied that neither she, nor United, had any responsibility for a gate checked bag, even though she insisted I check it.

I informed the flight attendant that I would be filing a complaint and asked for her name. She give me her first name but would not give me her last name until I demanded it repeatedly.

After I gate checked the bag to get on the flight, I opened the folding card the United gate agent had handed me when he scanned my boarding pass. It wished me a "Happy Anniversary" for being a MileagePlus member for 30 years.

And to add icing to the cake, the plane took off with half empty overhead bins.

When the plane landed in Chicago, I had to wait so long to get the gate checked bag that I had to run from the end of Concourse B to Concourse C to catch my connecting flight. As I have a bad hip that is about to be replaced, this caused extreme pain.

Do you treat only your long term MileagePlus members with such contempt, or is this your attitude towards everyone?

Attached are photos of: the half empty bins that flight UA 3358 on October 14 took off with, United's "Happy Anniversary" message, the gate check tags, my bag fitting easily in the overhead bin of the return flight (on the same equipment) on October 17, 2004 when the attendants did not behave in such a reprehensible manner, the x-ray of my right hip showing the loss of medial joint space, and copies of the relevant boarding passes.

I do not appreciate being treated in the way. If you do not make this right I will no longer fly on United, and will put all of this in a video that I will post on every complaint site I can find."
Exhibits View
Non-Cash
1. Apology: I want a written apology for your representatives rudeness. Nov 10, 2014 N/A
Cash
1. Compensation: Unnecessary pain and inconvenience Nov 10, 2014 $1,000.00
2. Pay me for my time: 2 hours @ $400/hour to file this claim. Nov 10, 2014 $800.00
3. Other – Pay for claim posting cost Nov 10, 2014 $7.99
4. Other – Physical delivery charges Nov 10, 2014 $2.99
Non-cash: 1 items

There has been no response to this claim from United Airlines, Inc.. This claim will remain posted until resolved