Superior Corporation-Dispute-#2103186

N. B. vs. Superior Corporation
750 Lee Street, Elk Grove Village, 60007, Illinois, United States
    • View response from: Superior Corporation
"Hi,
I am not in the construction business. I am a person who hired a contractor to do some remodeling and has become very frustrated. My contractor promised lots of things verbally to get my business but did not deliver all that he promised. He was so nice at the time that my son trusted him in high regards. Also, he promised to finish the job in three weeks but he took more than three months. He did not send the man power to finish the job in time as promised. Here and there his work force skipped the days. At one point, he took his labor out for ten days because he decided to send them on another job. During that time all the electrical outlets were hanging out with the wires as they were to be changed to new outlets. But, the contractor did not care about the possibility of anyone getting electrocuted. I do have pictures to prove that. We did not sign any contract before they started the job. After they started the job, our contractor put some things on a list and emailed to us. As I am not so much email savvy I did not check that email for few days. Until that point, we still trusted him and talked to him on the phone which is again a verbal discussion. As a matter of fact, that, we are novices in this field, contractor is all too experienced in taking advantage of the novice people. We are the folks from old school and trusted the word of verbal communication. We did not weigh the power of email. If a written and signed contract has a value then why the contractor did not have a signed contract from both parties before starting the work in our home. Some of the work is done OK and some of it is a hacked job. Stain on the doors is totally off, but he promised that it will be close if not exact match to the original doors. After two third of the job was done and two third of the payment was in his pocket, he forced us into renegotiating the contract and adding more expenses for us for the jobs he promised to do in the initial verbal promise. Because, he took so long to finish the job, it affected our lives in many ways, emotionally and financially. The job is not done to our satisfaction and he is threatening us to take us to the court to get rest of his money. There are still lots of small jobs to be taken care and lots of touch ups to be done. Yesterday, a bath tub started to leak and another faucet is leaking. But, he is threatening us with law suit already. He says he has attorneys on the payroll so it won’t cost him much but it is going to be a hell of an expense for us. I am wondering why all the law has to be in contractors’ favor? Why courts are more in contractors’ favor than for a common and innocent person. Is this a justice in fairness? Why is that it is OK for contractor to add steep charges on us if delay happens on our side (it did not happen in our case) but we are not entitled for any mercy or compensation when contractor takes three months instead of three weeks as promised. My son, who lives in Singapore came all the way to spend few weeks with us in our new home and enjoy a major festival together, which was the main reason we asked contractor to finish the job in three weeks. He said no problem it will be done before that. Needless to say, my son and his family could not enjoy the time with us because the whole house was a mess with contractors working. My two and half year old grandson had hardly any space to play around. I do have pictures to prove that state. My son’s whole trip (leave) was wasted for which he spent lots of money. Why our sufferings and putting up with the contractor for so long has no value what so ever. All I keep hearing is ‘oh contractors do that.’ ‘Oh, there are horror stories about contractor you wouldn’t believe, and they will take you to court and win.’ Why do we have this kind of situation in The United States of America? May be our contractor can suck the money out of us regardless of our disappointments, but I can speak up in many places and I will. We can only hope that someday these contractors will learn their lessons better if law starts to favor common people.
Neena"
Claimant invites Superior Corporation to make a fair offer to resolve this complaint.
Respondent's Counteroffer Hide
The claimant's settlement terms were rejected with the following explanation:
  • I disagree with the explanation / grounds provided

"The Bawa's have refused to pay the final contract with no return call. The have now ignored the contract which they agreed to and I am handing this case over to our lawyers."

This claim will remain posted until resolved.

Do you agree with the respondent’s Response?  (If you are a party to this claim, click here.)