S.T. vs. DHL Express

DHL's idea of 'proof of delivery' and 'required signature' is to take a picture of my mailbox, which they illegally opened.

S. T. vs. Dhl Express Usa
1210 South Pine Island Road, Plantation, Florida, 33324, United States
Amount Involved: $100.00
    • Claimant Seeks: 3 non-monetary items.
    • Filed On: Dec 26, 2019
    • Posted On: Jan 04, 2020
"I paid a substantial amount to have urgent documentation shipped to me from the UK to the USA, securely and with signature confirmation. It would have caused a great deal of trouble and expense had I not received the documentation. The shipper chose DHL for delivery.
On 12/17/19 I duly received two text messages stating that two packages would be delivered on 12/18 and a signature was required. I live two hours from the closest DHL office, so I took unpaid leave to ensure that I was home and signed up for tracking via text.
On the afternoon of 12/18 the tracking suddenly showed "blocked." I called DHL and was told that there was a "technical error"--presumably they couldn't find the driver, who knows--and the delivery would be the next day. I therefore had no choice but to take a second day of unpaid leave. On 12/19 I received two more messages that signature was required. No packages.
At 7.45 PM (19:45) on 12/19 I finally received two texts that the packages were now with the delivery courier. At this point, I called DHL yet again to find out how late delivery was likely to be, since I was already late for an event.
To my astonishment I was told that the packages had just been delivered and signed for. Not by me they hadn't--and no-one had been up my drive, as my security system clearly showed--but I checked outside the door just in case. The DHL rep told me that the package had been signed for with a "company stamp." What?!
Eventually I decided to walk down to my mailbox and lo and behold, there were the packages in my mailbox, which DHL's driver had illegally opened. I live on a semi-rural street and my neighbors and I have suffered mailbox theft, vandalism, and drunken accidents taking out multiple mailboxes in one shot. I would never have anything important delivered to my mailbox and what's more--it's illegal for anyone but USPS to open it, as DHL confirmed.
To add insult to injury I opened the tracking and found that the "signature" was A PICTURE OF MY MAILBOX. I absolutely couldn't believe it. There was no reason whatsoever for the courier not to come up my drive--no ice or snow, and my house was lit up like a spaceship.
DHL promised to investigate and it just got worse. They told me they'd had the courier come back out. Why? To what end? And if they did, what did they do when they were here? I sure didn't see anyone--and I don't believe they did come out. Once I AGAIN made it clear that the package had been delivered, the DHL rep said only that there would be an "internal investigation" and she was closing the case.
I got the text confirming delivery some time after midnight, when I'd turned my phone off. I am just gobsmacked at the absolute incompetence of DHL's technical systems, courier, and its supervisors, who only seem to have two possible responses: 1) we'll send the driver back out, or 2) there'll be an internal investigation. The only person who showed any real concern was the lovely woman who answered my enraged call when I found the delivery dump.
In my opinion DHL owes me for two lost days of work and a great deal of worry, but in the interests of being reasonable I'll settle for $100, an actual apology, and an agreement that they'll do better training and also enable couriers to call/text customers if they have any questions about delivery and/or signature.

"
  • 12-18-2019 — First delivery didn't happen
  • 12-19-2019 — DHL courier didn't get the required signature for two packages and left them in an unsecured location
Non-Cash
1. Apology: A sincere written apology Jan 10, 2020 N/A
2. Change of policy: Couriers should be able to contact customers if they have questions/concerns Jan 10, 2020 N/A
3. Improve your text messaging system. Your tracking updates are hopeless Jan 10, 2020 N/A
Cash
1. Compensation: A token amount to compensate for two days of work missed for no good reason Jan 10, 2020 $100.00
2. Other – Physical delivery charges Jan 10, 2020 $4.99
Claimant invites DHL Express USA to make a fair offer to resolve this complaint.
Non-cash: 3 items

There has been no response to this claim from DHL Express USA. This claim will remain posted until resolved
  • Contributed Solution: by J Petaluma On 02-17-2020
    Violation of 18 U.S. Code § 172, subject to fines of up to $10,000. Report to Postmaster General. Claimant should be compensated for DHL's failure to complete service More...
  • Contributed Solution: by George Maxwell On 01-06-2020
    In a nutshell, DHL took money for a service that they didn't perform More...