Disappointed Customer vs. Wrench Mobile Mechanics

"NEW" alternator installed by Wrench Mobile Mechanics fails after 18 months. I need some help!

G. L. vs. Wrench Mobile Mechanics
1411 4th Avenue Suite 1100, Seattle, 98101, United States
    • Filed On: Aug 21, 2020
    • Posted On: Sep 01, 2020
      • Problem with a product
      • Overcharge or billing error
      • Poor Value for Money
"The alternator on my 2006 Dodge Charger failed on or about January 16, 2019. "Wrench" was hired to replace the failed alternator on or about January 18, 2019. The service was excellent and the alternator was replaced. I was billed for:

Labor x 1.25 hrs @ $137.50
(Part) ULR-R110109B x 1 $288.71

Total: $426.21

20% off your first Wrench service $ -85.24

At total charged to my Visa with tax was $360.63.

This new alternator that was installed by "wrench", failed on July 1, 2020. I contacted "wrench" and was given information about the store at which the part was purchased and the part number. I was also assured that the alternator that had been replace was a NEW alternator.

The located the exact part, with the assistance of the personnel at O'REILLY'S auto parts. I was told that the part in question had a limited lifetime warranty, but if the mechanic who installed it, paid for it, than he would own the warranty. The attendant also said that the cost of the alternator was $158.99 plus a $56 core charge. Meaning that when the mechanic returned my failed alternator, he was refunded the $56 charge, making the alternator cost $158.99.

I proceeded to change the alternator my self and as I had been informed by O'REILLY'S prior found the alternator was "REMANUFACTURED IN MEXICO" and not new as Cassandra assured me an July 20, 2020.

In summary: I was charged and pay $288.72 for a NEW alternator. However, a REMANUFACTURED alternator that cost with tax $158.99 was installed by"Wrench" on my automobile.

This matter has cost me personal time and effort associated with researching this issue and has cost me time and effort in replacing the alternator on my car. Wrench also over charged me $129.73 for the alternator they did install.

RESPONSE TO REPLY TO CASE FROM WRENCH:

I would like to amend the amount of the claim to include $25.00 for the Cost of Filing this claim.  With to total for the Claim being $325.00 firm.

Wrench offered to send another technician out and if the alternator they had installed was under warranty (which they own), they would not charge me for the part, they would only charge me for the labor ($150+).  Let us project into the future 18 months.  The alternator, again fails, and I have to spend another $150 plus to replace the alternator, again.  Then another 18 months goes by and the alternator fails again... and so forth.

Any halfway intelligent person would see this as scam.  If Wrench had replaced my alternator with a new alternator as the price they charged me would indicate, I would not have to pay $150+ to Wrench to keep my car that has 266000 miles on it running.  It doesn't make financial since.

I will return the failed alternator to Wrench if they will drop by and pick it up.  They own the unlimited lifetime warranty on the part.  They are able to take the part back to O'reilly's auto parts store and receive a replacement new remanufactured alternator at no charge. Install this alternator on another customers car, charge $288 for the part, as they did me, and the fee for installing.  Wrench, would, therefore not be out any money and neither would I.  I feel this is a win-win solution to this problem for both parties, without either party losing any money."
1. Recovery of Losses: Cost of new alternator plus my effort and time installing Sep 25, 2020 $300.00
2. Cost of Filing Claim Sep 25, 2020 $25.00

There has been no response to this claim from Wrench Mobile Mechanics. This claim will remain posted until resolved
Offer History
Aug 21, 2020
Claimant's Terms of Settlement to Wrench Mobile Mechanics
  • Contributed Solution: by Brian Edderly On 09-20-2020
    Wrench Mobile Mechanics should have disclosed that the alternator was used and should reimburse the claimant for the cost of the dud alternator. More...