My Claim vs. Starbucks Dispute

B. A. vs. Starbucks Corp (Headquarters)
PO Box 3717, 2401 Utah Ave, Seattle, Washington, 98124, United States
    • Filed On: Oct 16, 2015
    • Posted On: Oct 27, 2015
      • Problem with a product
"In December of 2012, I purchased a Starbucks top of the line Verissmo coffee machine from Williams Sonoma. When I got home, I live 40 miles from the store, I noticed that the carafe was cracked and unusuable. I couldn't exchange it until after Christmas as I am disabled and cannot drive. Later in Januuary of 2013, I exchanged the machine for another one.
When I returned home and got the machine out of the box, the new one didn't have all the parts so I contacted WS and a couple of months later I received them. Now I am not a coffee drinker, but I purchased the machine for my daughter in laws (who are big coffee drinkers) to use over the Christmas/New Year Holidays...which didn't happen because of the broken and missing parts of the machine.
It now Easter and my daughter in laws are trying the new machine, but it does not work properly. It either does not puncture the pods so that the coffee and water mix, or the frother is spraying all over. Anyway, it just does not work.
Now I paid $399.00 for this machine and it has a 2 year warranty. A couple of months pass before I can get it back to WS who by this time no longer carry the machine because it is now being sold in multiple stores and WS doesn't appreciate that.
WS also will not refund my money because it no longer carries it and they tell me to contack Starbucks directly and get a refund from them.
Now, it's 2014 and I contact Starbucks and tell them my story.
The representative tells me that they will accept the machine and send me a refund of $199.00 as it is still under warranty, but I tell the customer service rep that I paid $399 for it and should be refunded that amount. He reassures me that when Starbucks receives the returned machine, they will adjust the refund to cover the original full price of the coffee maker of $399. I agree with the stipulation that I will receive the price that I paid for it and enclosed a copy of my original receipt.
Now, Starbucks has my machine, but a few months later send me a check for $199.
I then both write and email them many letters covering about 6 months and never get a reply.
Finally, after calling them and talking with them as to why they did not reply to my messages, they tell me that the $199 is all that I am going to receive as that is their cost of making the machine and whatever WS sells it for is not their affair.
They refuse to refund the extra $200 and I am out of a machine as well.
I am upset that a company as large as Starbucks doesn't seem to be concerned about honoring their promise of returning the full amount of my purchase.
Had I know that I was going to be out both a machine and $200 dollars I would not have returned the machine so quickly. I again recently talked with Starbucks and they are offering me a $100 merchandise coffee credit to use for their coffee products, but I don't drink coffee so this is of no use to me and I will still be out $100.
I have been treated unfairly and want my $200 returned. Will you please help me?
Thank you so much."
1. Compensation: defective coffee machine Oct 31, 2015 $200.00
2. Other – Pay for claim posting cost Oct 31, 2015 $7.99
Help resolve this case.
Do you agree with the claimant’s terms?
Discover, negotiate, and help settle this dispute. Propose a resolution below.
  • Contributed Solution: by Taha Samad On 10-28-2015