Claim #2051259 against: Home Retention Center

• Win the reward

The Complaint

What happened

Claimant's opinion:

This company scammed me. This company worked in affiliation with the Payment Reduction Cntr in S.Francisco. I was working with both companies regarding a HAMP modification mortgage. I sent in all the paperwork and information required.
They told me they had been able to get it approved and I had to send a money order in the amount of $1,877.00 in order to pay the legal firm that was trying to foreclose on my property. That was sent on October 15, 2012.

On November 28th I received a letter from the Supreme Court of Albany from One West Bank (my mortgage company) for a settlement conference regarding my foreclosure. At that point I called this company to ask what was going on. I had thought they had approval and had sent my money over to the legal firm that was representing my bank. I also called my bank to explain to them I had been working with this company (along with the Payment Reduction Company located in San Francisco) and they should have all the paperwork. The bank stated they had no paperwork in their files whatsoever.

Since November 28th I've been trying to get this resolved with the Home Retention Center and the Payment Reduction Center. My contact at the Home Retention Center is Walter Sullivan who has successfully ignored dozens of my calls. I did speak with him a couple of times and each time he told me there was just some kind of mistake and everything was being taken care of. For over a month he has strung me along and when I asked for my money back I was told I had to fill out forms. These forms were never sent.

I've left messages, I've tried to get the name and phone numbers of the head of the company or higher managers and I was not given any.

I am seeking the resolution of a refund of $1,877.08. This company has scammed me and other consumers have to be aware of this.

• Comment: Contributed by Carla - On: 06/06/2014
  • I too was scammed by them. However, also we sent a cashiers check in the mortgage company's name they cashed the check. There has to be something additional wrong with this picture.

• Comment: Contributed by Andy L. - On: 05/19/2014
  • I have had the same experience. How can I get my money back? Andy Lund 919-201-7119

• Comment: Contributed by Jennifer S. - On: 01/27/2013
  • Unfortunately, a lot of these companies that propose an option of foreclosure or mortgage relief do tend to be scams, or not necessarily following the rules and regulations of the states that they reach into to operate under. In this circumstance, if you have not already, you should contact the Attorney General’s office for your state. There is also a process for reporting these companies, available through www.loanscamalert.org, which also has a large amount of information available to help homeowners currently going through foreclosure. Also, you stated that you received a notice of settlement conference. If you have not already taken advantage of this option, you should contact the court and let them know that you were under the impression that a third party company was working on this for you, and that you would like to be included in this option. That settlement conference is supposed to help evaluate you for home retention options to avoid the foreclosure.

Join our online dispute resolution community — over 30,000 members.
  • Resolve any dispute or complaint against anyone — no lawyers or courts.
  • Help others resolve disputes; you'll earn rewards and recognition.
  • Become a "public mediator" — open to anyone with negotiation skills.
    Learn more
    Contribute your idea for how to resolve the dispute shown on this page and you're part of the PeopleClaim "public mediator" community — people helping people resolve disputes. It's simple. You don't need legal knowledge or training. Submit your idea for a fair settlement and earn 25 points if one side likes it; get 100 points if both sides like it; and 200 points if the case is settled based on your suggestion.

Join our community and start resolving disputes — it's free and fast.

Already have an account? Log in with your PeopleClaim account or with Facebook.
Anyone can participate.
No legal or professoinal experience needed.

Help resolve this case

Read the full claim details, add your suggested resolution, and win the reward.
Resolution Points
  • 25 points if one party likes your solution
  • 100 points if both parties like it
  • 200 points if case settles based on your solution

Get Started: Review the case, ask the parties questions, add comments, then submit your suggestion for settlement.

Learn more about PeopleClaim
  • What is PeopleClaim?
  • How does PeopleClaim work?
  • What kinds of claims can I file on PeopleClaim?
Important: Claims against parties operating under bankruptcy protection, by law must be processed solely through the appropriate US bankruptcy court. Any claims against this party currently posted on PeopleClaim are available for purposes of public business review only and are not an attempt to collect money or recover assets subject to protections under the United States Bankruptcy Code.

Make money helping people resolve complaints