Claim #1469833 against: Direct Line Cruises

• Win the reward

The Complaint

What happened

Claimant's opinion:

I booked a cruise with Direct Line Cruises (DLC) which started in Europe and disembarked in India. I booked the cruise by telephone using their agent, Barbara Gronowski. After booking the cruise, I had been in constant contact with Barbara telephonically as well as by e-mail to find out the requirements for my cruise. Barbara failed to let me know that I needed a travel visa for India and as a result my husband and I had to disembark the ship in the Middle East. We lost several days of cruising which we had paid for in advance and in addition had to buy new airline tickets from Dubai to the US.

DLC failed as a travel agency on two accounts. According to the US Department of Labor, one of the job functions of a travel agent is to make the client aware of the visa requirements for a travel itinerary. I have written to DLC about this. The response I received was that I signed an acknowledgement package that stated that it is my responsibility to determine, obtain and provide all necessary documentation. I did sign the acknowledge form and tried to determine from my travel agent, Barbara Gronowski what paperwork was necessary. I do not understand how else I am supposed to determine requirements other than through my travel agent. Unlike DLC, I am not a licensed professional in the travel agency industry. DLC did get payment for services rendered as a travel agency but did not perform the duties of a travel agency. The second way in which they failed was in not providing me with assistance in returning home from the middle east. When I found out that my husband and I had to disembark early I e-mailed Barbara several times requesting assistance in booking flights back. I received an apology e-mail back for the inconvenience but no assistance. Again, the US Department of Labor defines a travel agency as providing assistance to clients if they become stranded.

The poor quality of service provided by DLC had ruined our vacation, caused a huge emotional and financial burden to my husband and I.

Join our online dispute resolution community — over 30,000 members.
  • Resolve any dispute or complaint against anyone — no lawyers or courts.
  • Help others resolve disputes; you'll earn rewards and recognition.
  • Become a "public mediator" — open to anyone with negotiation skills.
    Learn more
    Contribute your idea for how to resolve the dispute shown on this page and you're part of the PeopleClaim "public mediator" community — people helping people resolve disputes. It's simple. You don't need legal knowledge or training. Submit your idea for a fair settlement and earn 25 points if one side likes it; get 100 points if both sides like it; and 200 points if the case is settled based on your suggestion.

Join our community and start resolving disputes — it's free and fast.

Already have an account? Log in with your PeopleClaim account or with Facebook.
Anyone can participate.
No legal or professoinal experience needed.

Help resolve this case

Read the full claim details, add your suggested resolution, and win the reward.
Resolution Points
  • 25 points if one party likes your solution
  • 100 points if both parties like it
  • 200 points if case settles based on your solution

Get Started: Review the case, ask the parties questions, add comments, then submit your suggestion for settlement.

Learn more about PeopleClaim
  • What is PeopleClaim?
  • How does PeopleClaim work?
  • What kinds of claims can I file on PeopleClaim?
All information contained herein is the opinion of the posting parties, who are solely responsible for its content. PeopleClaim offers both free and paid services to help consumers, patients, employee, tenants, and others resolve disputes without lawyers or courts, through negotiated online settlement and public disclosure of wrongdoing or unfair treatment. Important: Claims against parties operating under bankruptcy protection, by law must be processed solely through the appropriate US bankruptcy court. Any claims against this party currently posted on PeopleClaim are available for purposes of public business review only and are not an attempt to collect money or recover assets subject to protections under the United States Bankruptcy Code.

Make money helping people resolve complaints