Claim #1469833 against: Direct Line Cruises

• Claim NO: #1469833
    • This is claim 1 of 1 by claimant.
    • Amount Involved: $2,522.90
    • Filed On: Jun 05, 2012
    • Posted On: Jun 16, 2012

The Complaint

What happened

Claimant's opinion:

I booked a cruise with Direct Line Cruises (DLC) which started in Europe and disembarked in India. I booked the cruise by telephone using their agent, Barbara Gronowski. After booking the cruise, I had been in constant contact with Barbara telephonically as well as by e-mail to find out the requirements for my cruise. Barbara failed to let me know that I needed a travel visa for India and as a result my husband and I had to disembark the ship in the Middle East. We lost several days of cruising which we had paid for in advance and in addition had to buy new airline tickets from Dubai to the US. DLC failed as a travel agency on two accounts. According to the US Department of Labor, one of the job functions of a travel agent is to make the client aware of the visa requirements for a travel itinerary. I have written to DLC about this. The response I received was that I signed an acknowledgement package that stated that it is my responsibility to determine, obtain and provide all necessary documentation. I did sign the acknowledge form and tried to determine from my travel agent, Barbara Gronowski what paperwork was necessary. I do not understand how else I am supposed to determine requirements other than through my travel agent. Unlike DLC, I am not a licensed professional in the travel agency industry. DLC did get payment for services rendered as a travel agency but did not perform the duties of a travel agency. The second way in which they failed was in not providing me with assistance in returning home from the middle east. When I found out that my husband and I had to disembark early I e-mailed Barbara several times requesting assistance in booking flights back. I received an apology e-mail back for the inconvenience but no assistance. Again, the US Department of Labor defines a travel agency as providing assistance to clients if they become stranded. The poor quality of service provided by DLC had ruined our vacation, caused a huge emotional and financial burden to my husband and I.

Problem With A Service
  • Bad advice and/or instructions

What Claimant Wants

• Terms under which Direct Line Cruises can satisfy this claimant
Cash settlement
1. Recovery of Losses: Half the cost of our return airline tickets Jun 20, 2012 $2,500.00
2. Copy claim to regulators Jun 20, 2012 $14.95
3. Include public posting fee Jun 20, 2012 $7.95
Total : $2,522.90
*In the event this company is operating under bankruptcy protection, see notice at the bottom of this page.

All information contained herein is the opinion of the posting parties, who are solely responsible for its content. PeopleClaim offers both free and paid services to help consumers, patients, employee, tenants, and others resolve disputes without lawyers or courts, through negotiated online settlement and public disclosure of wrongdoing or unfair treatment.

Help resolve this claim - Get good karma and earn points.

Learn more about PeopleClaim
  • What is PeopleClaim?
  • How does PeopleClaim work?
  • What kinds of claims can I file on PeopleClaim?
*Important: Claimants are advised that claims against a party operating under bankruptcy protection, by law must be processed solely through the appropriate US bankruptcy court. Any claims against this party currently posted on PeopleClaim are available for purposes of public business review only and are not an attempt to collect money or recover assets subject to protections under the United States Bankruptcy Code.