My Claim vs. Dentfirst : $177,500.00

• View response from: Dentfirst
    • Filed On: Dec 17, 2015
    • Posted On: Jan 26, 2016
      • Commercial / Other dispute
  • Notice: There is a $500 reward for the publicly-contributed resolution that resolves this case.
  • Win the reward (200 pts + $500)

Complaint(s) Involved (1) Hide

Commercial / Other Dispute
View DentFirst's response

Claimant's opinion:

1. Started with Dentfirst September 2011
2. Oral Surgeon pulled back teeth and left fragments embed - Dr. left practice
3. General Dentist pulled fragments and front teeth
4. Implants (two lower) by Periodontist, both were set incorrectly - Dr. left practice next day
5. Temporary dentures could not be made to fit and patient forced to go 6 months with no teeth
6. General Dentist could not make a set of lower dentures that would stay in mouth and charged additional fee to reline dentures - still could not fit without injury to gums and jaw
7. After many more office visits the dentist said he needed more time to get it right. After months of weekly calls to office with no results patient called to tell office manger she wanted a refund and was going to another dentist. Patient was asked to give the practice one more chance. She would see a new dentist because first general dentist had died!
8. Second General Dentist made a set of lower dentures that stayed in but caused so much pain they could not be used for eating. Upper dentures now could not be fit because the bone had receded too much.
9. According to the practice manager DentFirst's Periodontist could not do the upper implants that were now needed and a referral was made to another practice (at patient's own expense)
10. Patient left DentFirst's practice in August 2015 without a usable set of dentures.
11. We feel there has been a breach of contract.

Exhibits View

What Claimant Wants

• Claimant agrees to resolve this matter under the following proposed terms of settlement.
  • Dentfirst is asked to agree and settle or make a good-faith counteroffer, offer a rebuttal, or request additional information.
1. Damages: cost of new dentures Mar 01, 2016 $40,000.00
2. Refund: dentures that did not fit Mar 01, 2016 $12,500.00
3. punitive d Mar 01, 2016 $125,000.00
4. Other – Copy claim to regulators Mar 01, 2016 $14.99
2.2 avg. rating / 12 participants

Response from Dentfirst Hide

• DentFirst to claimant
  • Status: Rejected
    Respondent has rejected claimant's terms. This claim will remain posted until mutually acceptable terms are agreed to.
The claimant's settlement terms were rejected with the following explanation:
  • "We are very sorry to hear of any troubles you may have had with your dentist. We will be glad to discuss this with you directly. You can contact us at dharlin@dentfirst.com. "

This claim will remain posted until resolved.

Additional Communication Between Claimant and Dentfirst View

Help resolve this case. Earn negotiation points. See how it works.

COMMUNITY FEEDBACK ABOUT THIS CLAIM Hide

The PeopleClaim community includes volunteers who are passionate about justice – consumer advocates, legal professionals, people with knowledge of specific industries and trades, and anyone who has useful suggestions to help disputing parties resolve a case.
  • Comment: Contributed by stephanie m. - On: 02/17/2017
  • This is  very sad because the patient has suffered though quit a bit.  This is not about money because the patient kept coming back for correction which seemed to have failed the patient whom trusted the facility. So because of pain and suffering they should be compensated. I would like to vote for the total amount but it seems a little bit extreme. So they should be paid for their pain and great sufferring. Verdict for the complaintif

• My Solution: Hi Client or Customer My Questions are as follow: What was the original payment plan? Installations or do you have a health insurance?Make a complaint to BBB in the state you are in and the school of Dntistry. Do your homework don't delay.
  • Contributed by ONNECIA B. Criminal Justice Student If You Can't Walk 🏃. If You Cannt Run Crawl. Dont Give Up Keep M - On: 01/15/2017

• Very Fair
  • My Solution: I think that's way to much for a settlement. If you took care of your teeth and gums to begin with you wouldn't have to wait for your gums and bones to heal for dentures.
  • Contributed by Kelly H. - On: 01/07/2017

• First of all you can't get false teeth ..right after other teeth are pulled.  Because of the swelling.

And it takes time to get it right.

• Very Fair
  • My Solution: The process is to let the company know that she is willing to negotiate with the involvement of and unbiased dental professional that would analyze the situation and make a statement on the record that can be used either for a trial or mediation
  • Contributed by Ortis P. Doctoral Candidate In Field Of Conflict Analysis & Resolution At Nova Southeastern Universi - On: 01/06/2017

• The company is responsible for the actions of its employee
    and in a court setting, the award of punitive damages might be higher because of
    the permanent damages the malpractice caused the patient. The patient’s best
    alternative to the negotiated agreement will always be to take her case to the
    court and let a jury decide on the situation. I do not believe that a jury will
    pardon the DENTFIRST for an act that seems deliberate due to the fact that they
    use the client for practice.

The process is to let the company know that she is willing
    to negotiate with the involvement of a third party unbiased dental professional
    that would analyze the situation and make a statement on the record that can be
    used either for a trial or the next step of a negotiation. I would suggest get
    in contact with DENTFIRST again and give them your position and that if this
    fail they may be looking at a higher payout. I would suggest to look into the
    highest payout on medical malpractice for dental procedure in your state and a
    national average and to let them know what they may be facing.

you can adjust the demand based on what a third party dentist will tell you
    about the severity of that problem. And if they want you to see an expert to
    ask that they pay for the consultation as part of the dispute resolution
    process.

• Very Fair
  • Comment: Contributed by matin B., General Practice For More Then 35 Years - On: 01/06/2017
  • IF THE PT IS INTERESTED IN OBTAINING GOOD FUNCTION TEETH, I WOULD RECOMMEND A CONSULTATION AND TREATMENT FROM  A BOARD CERTIFIED PROSTHODONTIST AND HIS PRESENT DENTIST AND/OR HIS INSURANCE COMPANY WILL MAKE APPROPRIATE PAYMENTS.   THE PROSTHODONTIST WILL BE ABLE TO MAKE A JUDGEMENT  IF THERE WAS SIGNIFICANT MALPRACTICE, IN WHICH CASE A SETTLEMENT WIIL BE MADE.  IF NO MALPRACTICE WAS OBVIOUS, JUST GET THE PATIENT COMFORTABLE AND REFUND HIS PAYMENTS.

• Comment: Contributed by Sam S., I Love Resolving Disputes - On: 12/16/2016
  • Ruth, could you post or arrange to send the back ground info that you offered to send to Dentfirst to Irving and see if he can help mediate a resolution to your case?    Seems he can give you an expert perspective which Dentfirst should respect- even if they don't entirely agree.    I don't have the background in dentistry that Irv and Hans do, but I'd be glad to add my comments as well once the info is there.

Thanks

• My Solution: If any of the dentists involved are members of the local Dental Society, the patient could go through their Peer Review system to help resolve the issue. If not, they could consider filing a complaint with the State Dental Board.
  • Contributed by Robert H. General Dentist In Practice For Over 30 Years. - On: 12/12/2016

4.7 avg. rating / 3 participants
Reply: by Sam S.I Love Resolving Disputes - On: 12/16/2016

Robert, Do you feel the terms claimant is asking for are appropriate given what information they've posted here? Any thoughts how a peer review board would apt to rule and what they might award? It might help both parties to add that perspective here.

Thx.

• Comment: Contributed by hans s. - On: 12/12/2016
  • This does seem like the claimsnt has a real case against The dentists and this dental practice.  Why is there so much turnover in dentists at this practice? Does a dentist own the practice?

It does look like there was negligence in the treatment planning phase. It is time to file a lawsuit

• Question: Contributed by Irving E., I Am A Dds Orthodontist And A Dentist And A Pharmacist - On: 11/30/2016
  • I am very experienced in dentistry and would like to see what the dr did in his treatment and did the patient follow his advice and if you could forward me some statements from the treating dr and the patient as well I can give you my expert advice to resolve this

• My Solution: I think the dentist should pay up
  • Contributed by Daniel K. - On: 10/13/2016

1 avg. rating / 2 participants
Reply: by Irving E.I Am A Dds Orthodontist And A Dentist And A Pharmacist - On: 11/30/2016

Try unfair

• My Solution: Responding full refund sufficient to get the proper dentures plus reasonable compensation for pain and suffering- to be negotiated privately between the parties.
  • Contributed by SandraJovan I Love Helping Mediate Cases In Real Estate, Investments And Divorce - On: 10/07/2016

5 avg. rating / 1 participant
  • My Solution: Go on twitter start with @ then their name. Start complaining. This will wake them up this is their reputation, they will want you to direct message them. This is how I got my claim started. I just woke up @ Tylenol.
  • Contributed by Teresa M. - On: 10/07/2016

5 avg. rating / 1 participant
  • My Solution: seems he wants to talk. if h and you cannot work out a solution i would tell him you are going to report him to dental board ad very review and claim site there is, tell local news in his area about issue, make and a vid for youtube. this was my sol
  • Contributed by Cae M. - On: 09/20/2016

0 avg. rating / 1 participant
  • My Solution: Should be granted the cost of a new pair of dentures, plus some money for inconvenience.
  • Contributed by Natalie D. - On: 09/01/2016

• The claimants goal was to receive properly fitting dentures, and thus the end goal of this claim should be to receive that service as initially promised. If the dentist office in question cannot provide satisfactory dentures, the patient should be either fully reimbursed for the dentures they had purchased, or should be given the amount of money needed to purchase a new set at a different dentist who does think they are capable to handle the job. I think the claimant should receive some sort of compensation for inconvenience (not having teeth for 6 months - yikes!) however, I don't think that the proposed $125,000 is appropriate. I think more along the lines of $5,000 would be more than fair.

4 avg. rating / 1 participant
Reply: by Teresa M. - On: 10/07/2016

No teeth for 6 months. How humiliating. Dentures now are nor correct. They need to reimburse you plus make you happy. This will get their attention. Find them on Twitter start but don't finish you're complaint. They will panic, this is their name/ Brand. They will want to talk. That's how I got attention to start my claim

• My Solution: This seems to be a case of incompetent dentistry. I would think for the sake of their reputation they would offer to give her the care she needs and some compensation for what shes been through.
  • Contributed by Mary D. - On: 08/27/2016

1 avg. rating / 1 participant
  • Question: Contributed by Matt M., Mediator With Years Of Legal Experience. Give Me A Case And I'll Get It Settled - On: 08/21/2016
  • Can you add a second opinion from another dentist.  I was thinking of using these guys but this give me pause.

• Comment: Contributed by Ghazalle S., I Enjoy Helping People Resolve Disputes. - On: 08/04/2016
  • Why is the claimant not responding to our posts?

Reply: by Matt M., Mediator With Years Of Legal Experience. Give Me A Case And I'll Get It Settled - On: 08/21/2016

Don't know but its an important part of the process.

Reply: by Teresa M. - On: 10/07/2016

Matt I have a case on people claim. Take a look. I asked for ungodly amount, but added what I want to make me happy. Teresa vs Allergen pharmasuticals. You will be rewarded if you can get what will make me happy. Promise

• Have you contact Dentfirst?

• Question: Contributed by Teresa S. - On: 07/12/2016
  • Client, has Dentfirst reached out to you or have you been in contact with them since their reply?

• Comment: Contributed by Tina J., I Am An International Law Student Enthusiastic About Civil & International Relations Issue - On: 07/12/2016
  • Claimant should get a full refund and compensation for all that she has gone through!

• Question: Contributed by Tina J., I Am An International Law Student Enthusiastic About Civil & International Relations Issue - On: 07/12/2016
  • Has the claimant try contacting Dentfirst agian?

• My Solution: When dental work wasnt done correctly the 1st time it leads to future problems and even health risks i say claimant is entitled to full refunds and at bbq least a percentage of punitive damages. Fair to claimant who was apparently wronged.
  • Contributed by Hiram W. I Am Part Time Uber Driver And Part Time Private Dj Look Up Nostalgia Pro Djs On Mixcloud Soundcloud - On: 07/07/2016

• 1st leaving teeth fragments is unacceptable

3 avg. rating / 5 participants
Reply: by Natalie D. - On: 09/01/2016

Hmm I wish this response was more specific. I think everyone is in agreement that there should be some sort of compensation, the question is just how much.

• My Solution: Contact the Georgia State Dentistry Department than the American Dental Association
  • Contributed by April P. Pre Law Student - On: 07/03/2016

• I would suggest contacting the Georgia State Department on Dentistry Regulation Georgia Dental Association
    Ms. Martha S. Phillips
    404.636.7553 (Office)
    404.633.3943 (Fax)
    phillips@gadental.org
    www.gadental.org

I would attempt to use them as a mediator and then file a claim if possible with the Dentifirst insurance carrier you should be able to obtain this and further guidance from Georgia
    John Oxendine, Commissioner      Office: 404.656.2070
    Georgia Department of Insurance      Fax: 404.657.8542
    2 Martin Luther King Jr. Drive      800.656.2298 (State Only)
    West Tower, 704
    Atlanta, GA  30334

Upon contacting these two agency's that regulate fraud and erroneous behavior and malpractice with this field they should be able to apply a little press with the whole complaint investigation process in order to gain the results in which you are seeking or in the least a  way to at least get them to be  more receptive to your needs

3 avg. rating / 5 participants
Reply: by Mark D.Ceo And Co Founder Of Peopleclaim. - On: 07/07/2016

I'd agree with April, but the idea here is also to post a resolution that both parties can agree to. April can you do that? I'd love to hear under what terms you feel the case could be fairly resolved.

Reply: by Mark D.Ceo And Co Founder Of Peopleclaim. - On: 07/07/2016

Reply: by April P.Pre Law Student - On: 07/07/2016

I feel that the Dentist are liable and should without a doubt fully repair the damages that have incurred thus far. I would think that the claimant would reduce apart of the claim if the Dentist could make the claimant happy and comfortable. The issue is usually the company not wanting to refund monetary adjustments but fixing the claimant's issues and offering maybe the amount of time spent on trying to receive the proper services should be offered maybe in services or visits that would make the exchange seem fair for both sides. Offering the claimant services or maybe an extra pair of dentures or products may suffice and alleviate the on going back and forth.

• My Solution: the claimant should receive a refund minus the percentage for the extractions of the bottom teeth and dentfirst should pay the fees for the operation for her to get the replacements from a third party
  • Contributed by Jonesha T. Met The Founder In A Peete's Coffee And I Am Interested In Helping - On: 06/25/2016

• if the claimant was to receive dentures than her teeth would have to be removed in the first place as for the incorrect implants and the dentures that did not fit were both due to practices on behalf of dentfirst and the specialist that was picked for her operation, the insufficient time in between rectification and error it would only be just if they saw the promise to the end and did everything in their power to help the client get what she came there for.

3.3 avg. rating / 3 participants
  • My Solution: Claimant should ask for full pay from Dentfirst.
  • Contributed by Aline G. My Name Is Aline Gadson. I Am A Trained Certified Paralegal. - On: 06/19/2016

• Good. Dentfirst has responded to your claim. Claimant should ask for a fair pay for resolution.

• Very Fair
  • My Solution: Counter offer a percentage off her billed expenses. Help her get this resolved in the most professional way possible without adding more expenses to it.
  • Contributed by Teresa S. - On: 06/15/2016

• Very Fair
  • Comment: Contributed by Teresa S. - On: 06/12/2016
  • I've had a similar situation with a dental practice and they didn't think twice about making it right. I suggest that Dentfirst get in touch with this client immediately and offer some kind od solution for her. It's been going on for way too long. Client, sign a release immediately for them to make comments on peo PeopleClaim.com. make a comment on here that states you did so and when. It would be in Dentfirst ' s BEST interest to resolve this matter promptly as it is looking quite unprofessional for them. Even a comment just to request the release. Let's take the first step Dentfirst... The ball is in your court.

• My Solution: Dentfirst needs to respond to this claim with a monetary settlement offer to compensate the claimant for her suffering.
  • Contributed by Nina T. I Am A Medical Student Who Enjoys Finding Solutions To Disputes. - On: 06/02/2016

• 1. She needs to have someone take a video of her describing her experience with Dentfirst and detailing the suffering that she went through and having anyone who witnessed it, say a few words about it, and then post this through people claim to as many social sites as she can and as many review sites as she can and go through people with really active social media presences who are willing to share her story.

2. The claimant should gather all the documentation that she has that support the monetary amount that she is asking for, such as the receipt for cost of dentures, as well as any and all receipts from her visits and charges at Dentfirst, as well as any written communication she has had with Dentfirst - and following that, upload all these supporting documents and pieces of evidence that support her claim, to peopleclaim.com

3. At this point, the goal would be to have generated enough public attention, as well as a strong enough online claim through peopleclaim.com, in order to elicit a response from Dentfirst, and then mediate with Dentfirst and the claimant through peopleclaim.com to reach a resolution that meets the monetary compensation that is sufficient for the pain and suffering detailed in this claimant's case.

4. Once the claim is resolved with Dentfirst, and the claimant has received proper compensation for expenses and loss of quality of life, the fact that a resolution was reached will be made public such that Dentfirst will be recognized as a provider that is present in issues involving their patients and their establishment as a whole.

• My Solution: Trial and Error
  • Contributed by Dina G. - On: 05/04/2016

• I also experienced similar troubles with dentures to the extent I have been toothless for several years and resigned myself to accept it, I really do understand. Dentistry like medicine, is a practice, not a profession. It Texas they are merely given 8 hours continuing education for "practicing" on patience while under the influence of illicit drugs. No jail, no bond, no suspension of license. Nothing.

Going to court means nothing. I have (won) a 30K court judgment and can not collect a dime. I even tried to sell it and can't get $5000.00 for it. So that's a waste of money.

I would recommend contacting your elected officials, but that didn't really work out either.

You could bash them on every website you can find, but yea that didn't work either.

I once picketed a business, and yes, I  got their attention quick and a resolution immediately.

So I would say grab a marker and cardboard box, write your message on it. Put it on a stick, and start marching in front of the business.

BEST WISHES

• My Solution:
  • Contributed by Mark D. I Love Helping People Resolve Complex Problems And Seeing Justice Served. - On: 04/25/2016

• Dentfirst.  Why are you stonewalling this claimant?  It doesn't reflect well on your business practices IMO that you refuse to discuss this claim openly and make a good faith offer to settle.  Hiding behind your lawyers might be expedient but its not good business!!!.     My suggestion is that you make an offer to settle this matter and dispose of it once and for all.    I would imagine the claimant would be willing to take less than they are demanding if you showed some concern for their situation.  You at least owe it to them to respond beyond the CYA response of asking them to contact you outside of PeopleClaim.   Man-up Dentfirst.  Im sure your patients will think more of you.

• Very Fair
  • Question: Contributed by Ghazalle S., I Enjoy Helping People Resolve Disputes. - On: 04/25/2016
  • Dear Claim #3179873

Have you spoken to DentFirstz? And what was their response or negotiation?

• Contributed by Jim W. Atip Intern, Occasional Contributor - On: 03/30/2016

• RECOMMENDATION. If the facts of the case are as described by the plaintiff, she would appear to be a victim of professional incompetence (and unprofessional behavior) resulting in monetary expense, loss of her teeth, and considerable suffering and inconvenience over a four-year period. DentFirst should reimburse her for all out-of-pocket expense incurred at DentFirst, and any further expense outside DentFirst for remedial dental work. It seems to me DentFirst owes her additional damages as well, though it's hard to say what a fair amount would be. DentFirst says it is open to discussion, and the plaintiff should certainly take them up on this to find out what they have in mind before she pursues more serious action.

• Very Fair
  • Comment: Contributed by Tihomir L., Love Helping People Resolve Disputes - On: 03/30/2016
  • Really sorry to hear about this situation. Let's come together and get this resolved for you.

• Comment: Contributed by Steve W. - On: 03/03/2016
  • I had a similar situation with my dentist, but finally got it resolved through PeopleClaim.

• Contributed by c.levimartin76@gmail.com - On: 03/03/2016

• (1) I would file complaint against the dentists involved, with the Georgia Board Of Dentistry. You can file using the online complaint form by accessing their website (http://gbd.georgia.gov) The Board investigates complaints of alleged violations of the Georgia Dental Practice Act. The Board can take disciplinary action against each dentist involved, which will help bring awareness to future patients and will also support your lawsuit.
    (2) File civil suit against DentFirst and each dentist involved (breach of contract, medical malpractice, negligence, injury, etc) You will most likely be required to provide an affidavit from an Expert Witness in order to file suit. An Expert Witness in your case would be another dentist (a health care provider in the same medical field as the ones you're filing suit against) The affidavit or report prepared by the Expert Witness would consist of written testimony discussing the injuries and suffering you experienced as a result of the poor quality of care you received from the dentists at DentFirst. You of course will need a lawyer in order to file suit, things will start getting expensive, however, there are attorneys that will take payment after you win your case. Make sure you file suit before the statues of limitations expire in your state. (3) WORSE CASE SCENARIO!!!! If you find yourself in a situation where you can't file a civil suit for whatever reason (can't afford it, not enough time, etc) File a claim through Small Claims court against DentFirst and the dentists involved. You can sue for the maximum amount allowed through small claims court, which is $10,000. No where near the amount you're already out, but it's better than nothing. No lawyers are used in small claims court, so you wouldn't have to worry about that. The costs to file would be waived since your only receiving SSA for income. 9 times out of 10, when it comes to a business, they will just pay and settled before going to court because they cannot use an attorney and it would end up costing them more money than it would to just pay the $10,000. You have a very strong case and I wish you the best of luck in whatever you choose to do for resolution. God Bless

2 avg. rating / 1 participant
Reply: by Ghazalle S.I Enjoy Helping People Resolve Disputes. - On: 04/25/2016

To my understating small claims courts will not take cases if you are seeking higher than the award limited. So it seems to me this case in not eligible for small claims. Also if there was a judgment wouldn't that preclude the claimant seeking the redress for the balance of the amount they are seeking. It seems to me you will be taking a big risk with small claims unless you will be satisfied with the maximum of award limit for small claims in Georgia.

Reply: by Alberta B. - On: 05/31/2016

It may be difficult to obtain another Dentist as an expert witness. They are benevolent to one the other and rarely testify against each other. The code of silence amongst professionals. Hopefully we can brainstorm and come up with an amicable resolution. I lost my husband due to product defect and it's a very steep mountain to climb. NO pun intended but it's like pulling teeth.

• My Solution:
  • Contributed by Aline G. My Name Is Aline Gadson. I Am A Trained Certified Paralegal. - On: 03/02/2016

• PL Gadson: It seems like the Company DentFirst is not very much concerned about you. It is clear you paid them for services and they did not do their job. Maybe you should try going to a Legal Service where you can sue for the full amount of pain and suffering they caused you in the process of giving you dental care. I feel you should ask for more money and for a full resolution of the problem. I feel they were wrong to leave you in the way they did by not clearing out the broken pieces of teeth from the gums. They should not have incorrectly set in the implants causing you extra pain. They should not have taken so long to fit you for the upper denture. Plus you were paying for these procedures. You should pursue this in a higher court. You want to ask for full reimbursement of what you paid them and also more money for your case of Dental Malpractice.

Reply: by Jim W.Atip Intern, Occasional Contributor - On: 04/04/2016

Who is "PL Gadson"?

• Comment: Contributed by Salmon K. - On: 02/09/2016
  • Have to wonder why they are afraid to discuss the matter here. Guess it could be a confidentiality issue. Ruth, could you add a comment here giving Dentfirst permission to discuss your claim here in public? They would need that permission from you. Otherwise maybe they will settle with you separately. Seems you have a good case, but I need to read it in more detail before I can offer a view on fairness and resolution. Good luck though. I'll comment more later.

Case Summary

This summary is provided by a third-party contributor and may not fully represent the views of the claimant. Viewers are encouraged to read full details on the left side of the page.

by moderator: Jim

Case involves a series of dental procedures that patient claims left her with substantial debt, suffering, and inconvenience — and no teeth. Claimant is on social security, has no other income, and seeks damages and refund totaling more than $177,000.

Help resolve this case

Read the full claim details, add your suggested resolution, and win the reward.
Invite a mediator to help get your claim resolved fairly.